Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can this be done? im talking about a carbed, roller camed motor, with stock shortblock. will vc jrs get me there? or will i need something like an afr 185 or 205? my goal is 400 horses N/A. id prefer bolt on stuff. no porting. i guess a custom cam would work best in this application. any recommendations on carbs? this motor will be in an older smog exempt car, so i dont have to have smog compatible components.

thanks
AC

edit: i guess 400FWHP will suffice, unless 400RWHP is attainable:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am not to good with carbed fords but I will give it a shot. First thing is first get a mean set of brodix heads. They seem to make awsome power with carbs. I would go with an rpm air gap intake and a 750 race deamon carb. The cam is going to play a big part in this build up. I am not to sure what the stock blocks can handle as far as power but thats the set up I would look into and try to see what you will get for hp. I used that in my old camaro 4 bolt main 350 with a custom 520 lift cam and made 465 horse. use that desktop dyno program for a rough estimate. Mix and match parts. Seems to work out pretty well.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I still have an old MM&FF where they got 408 peak out of a 5.0 with non-expensive parts. If you would like the specs, shoot me an email and I'll dig it out for you.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Check out my sig I use the vict jrs on a stock shortblock and I make 400hp and its problably a little more.

·
Registered
555 Posts
GT-40P heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Holley 4150HP 650dp and a custom cam will get you there (fwhp) without any problems

......I second that!! :cool:

John

·
Registered
433 Posts
more than 400hp

302 11.1comp
vic jr. heads
vic jr intake
750dp
1 3/4 longtubes
tfs stage 3cam

runs low 11s with slicks and 4.30grears:evil:

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Found it...

Stock bottom, deck milled to produce 10.6:1 compression.
Extrude-Honed Dart iron heads.
Vic Jr. intake.
Comp Cams XE282.
1.6 roller rockers.
2" 4-hole Wilson spacer.
650 Speed Demon.
1 3/4 LT headers.

Dyno sheet available showing 407 at 6000.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ok horsepower gurus...I'm throwing together a combo with parts laying around:

1993 302 shortblock
AFR 165s
Crower 15512 cam
Crane 1.7 RR
1 5/8 LTs
Performer RPM intake
Eddy 600 cfm carb -temporary until I can decide on a bigger one...

Though I would love to see 400 rwhp :rolleyes: I expect his to put 325 to the ground...at least it did with a Holley Systemax on a EFI car.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
TTT

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
TTT again

·
Registered
132 Posts
jchambers said:
GT-40P heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Holley 4150HP 650dp and a custom cam will get you there (fwhp) without any problems.
sorry to steal the thread... but, are people making 400hp with the GT-40P's on EFI cars? It just seems I see a lot of ~300-325 on the EFI's and I am curious why a carb would be worth that much more... not looking for a flame, just curious about the P's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I knew the smog stuff was part of it, but I thought it was a fairly small part. +/- 20hp all together. I was assuming (I know) that the ones running the P's and looking for more power were running open exhausts with no cats.
What do you mean by "tune a mustang properly"? Are you reffering to playing with the EEC and such?

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
OK:

I don't know about this. I realize we are talking flywheel numbers here instead of rwhp, but come on.

According to that Car Craft article, they get 18 hp out of 1.7 rockers? What is that on a typical mustang, 15 rwhp? I've bolted on a bunch of rockers, and I haven't ever gotten 15hp out of them. I'd be surprised to find I had ever gotten 10hp from bolting 1.7s on a stock cam.

And that's with a road demon carb? So it would presumably make another 20 hp or so with a 4150hp?

I'm also kind of iffy on the GT-40Ps making 400. Maybe hogged out and seriously milled, but otherwise probably not. Anybody got some dyno sheets for this combo where they make over 350 to the tires?

Granted its EFI, but NMRA Factory stock guys aren't making that much power. Well, ONE of them is making almost that, and he sure did a lot more than bolt some box-stock heads on a factory motor.

As for trying to build 400 fwhp n/a with a carb. First off, I would call somebody and ask before spending any money. (Ed Curtis for example). AFR 185s, custom cam, Victor Jr., 650 double pumper, 1-3/4" longtubes, would be my best guess.

NMRA PS guys are making that much power at the *tires*, so its definitely possible. You just have to be ready to buy good stuff and spin the snot out of it.

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts