Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what type of headers you guys think are the best....i still need some and was a little confused..im not sure what kind and also equal, unequal...shortys or long tube...and brand....any help will be appreciated..thanx guys:confused: :D :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im pretty sure most will agree with me here, but I say go with Longtubes. The brand is a preference, although some people have had bad luck with MAC's fit and finish and Bassani is very expensive. Most people seem to be satisfied with their BBK longtubes. I run the MAC longtubes and did not have any of the problems with fitment that others have experienced. Just keep in mind with longtubes you have the additional expense of buying a shorty H/X pipe to match the longtubes. Good Luck!
Peace,
Rick

·
Registered
851 Posts
Long tubes are a good choice, but will necesitate getting a new H/X pipe also. For shorties, I have had no issues with my FRPP 1 5/8's. Built solid, good fit and have lasted 5 + years. Stick with the unequal as they are easier to install and the plugs can be changed much easier

·
Registered
126 Posts
Considering the minimal gains VS. Average Instalation headaches - I would have to vote for plain Shorties. They are probably the cheapest solution. All the dyno stuff I've seen says Equal length gains are very minimal - if present at all. Long tubes bring a bunch of emmision (H-pipe - Which one to buy) considerations to the table. Plus all my dealing with long tubes in the past have been rather unpleasent - at least after a few years.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i love my BBK equal length shorties. i got the ceramic coated and the finish is awesome. i've had then for 4 years now and they sstill look new. the install was really simple(but i do have a lift at my house).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats kinda what i was leaning towards, the bbk 1 5/8 shortys unequal....how do you get them ceramic coated or do they sell them like that..how much to do it....thanx :p

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
jegs sells them that way...i think summit does too, but i don't know. if you get the chrome ones or something like it the coating will be gone in less than a week.

·
Registered
321 Posts
FRPP Ceramic headers. The best there is in unequal length headers.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Do a search on here and read all the replys on headers. You will find more negative stuff about BBK headers and more positive stuff about MAC headers. Im getting the MAC unequal shorties.

From what i here and see its usually a 50/50 split between MAC and BBK.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
the only positive i've ever heard about MAC was about their long tubes. the reason i went with BBK was because they have a 1 peice flange like the FRPPs the macs have a flange for each exhaust port unless they've recently changed their design.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was cheap and got the hooker unequals. They're doing the job just fine and I'd recommend them for the money.

Consider aftermarket bolts, like stage 8 locking ones. The bolts have a tendency to work themselves loose after a while, and tightening them is a PITA. I realized the other day that 3 bolts had loosened completely and were gone! I don't want to use thread locker because I've also had problems in the past getting header bolts off. Stage 8 seems like a good solution, but they're a little pricey.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have Bassani equal length shorties and they are great. They changed the engine note and the fit and finish are what you'd expect from a 3 bill header.

I X L
95 Cobra hardtop convertible
"an Evil SVT in the making"

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
311green94 said:
FRPP Ceramic headers. The best there is in unequal length headers.
what part of mcallen u from, maybe ive seen you around....?:confused:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Frpp Ceramic coated shorties. Awesome fit, still look new after almost a year. Definitely invest in the Stage 8's. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
riored94gt said:
Frpp Ceramic coated shorties. Awesome fit, still look new after almost a year. Definitely invest in the Stage 8's. Worth every penny.
how much do these cost and where did you get them :confused:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Got the headers from GEFracing.com (Gene Evans FOrd). I think they were around 300. Houston Performance had similar prices. The Stage 8's were about 35.00 i think, and I got those from Summit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Headers with cats

Gentlemen,

I have been told by someone whose opinions I trust (even though he isn't a mustang person) that there is no point of installing shorty headers on my car (daily-driven 01 Cobra) without removing the catalytic converters which isn't an option.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
759 Posts
i'd agree. shorty headers alone arent gonna give you a big power increase by themselves.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Ok, first of all, from eye-witnessed experience, you will gain some horsepower. Now, the question is how much do you want to pay for that power. The truth is you'll only gain maybe about 10 whp at the most. This truly is not much for the money spent on them and especially if you have to pay to get them installed. On 4v Cobras, you may gain more because they actually have manifolds, not headers. The hp difference b/t shorties and equal-length heades is negligible, but for maintainance the shorties are a little easier to get around. I have equal lengths because that is the only way I know of that Bassani makes them. If you want long tubes, they offer a little more hp but usually cost a lot more, are harder to install, and supporting component have to be bought to add them (new H or X pipe). Find a set of shorties that are in your price range and put them on. MAC offers a low cost alternative (I think they are right around $180) and that should give you a decent hp/dollar ratio. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Re: Headers with cats

taylorp said:
Gentlemen,

I have been told by someone whose opinions I trust (even though he isn't a mustang person) that there is no point of installing shorty headers on my car (daily-driven 01 Cobra) without removing the catalytic converters which isn't an option.

Any thoughts?
True as that may be, Doing the headers and maybe a Bassani Cat X-pipe (high flow) at the same time should help. It'll also shave some weight off the car. Them mod-motor cars have 6 cats stock!

If it were me, and if I'm gonna be having them installed anyways, I'd go for long tubes so long as you can get a matching catalytic shortie H/X-pipe. The BBK ones are supposed to fit good on the mod motor Cobras, but I don't have any first hand experience with BBK headers on the mod-motor.

I'm sure someone will bring up that it is illegal to take off a good catalytic converter (even if you're 'upgrading it'). I reguard that as a don't ask, don't tell kinda thing. I've never seen a shop hesitate to put a cat H/X pipe on a car.

Shawn

1 - 20 of 32 Posts