Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this forum is busier I will ask you blower guys too.

Looking for some input on which Fel Pro head gasket I should run on my soon to be forced induction 302 Carb set-up ?

Instead of me posting what I have run and what I have been told to run I figured your expert unbiased opinions would be better.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
run the felpro 9333pt1, they are the best gasket you can get in my opinion. And it seems to me that most people running forced induction run them too.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I have heard that the COMETIC head gaskets are awesome and can hold 20# of boost. They are a stainless multi-layer gasket which are designed to hold up with alum. heads on a cast iron block. They are expensive but if they prevent blown gaskets they would be worth it. I called them and they said that regular gaskets like fel-pro and FRPP graphite are good but won't hold up after years of the "shearing effect" that you get with alum. heads on an iron block. Also the cometics do not require retorqing. This is the same style gasket used on the new blown 03 cobra 4.6. I just saw an article where Robert Yates built a 4.6 nascar type motor and I noticed that he used the cometic head gaskets. That says a lot about them right there. In nascar, failure would not be an option. Good Luck! Look at www.cometic.com or do a search.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
matt_wesl said:
run the felpro 9333pt1, they are the best gasket you can get in my opinion. And it seems to me that most people running forced induction run them too.

Difference between the 9333pt1 and the 8548 pt-2 ?

Anyone know ?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
9333's have a thicker compressed thickness. They were designed for early 5.0 appicaiotns pre-1986.

Its not the gasket that causes the failure. Its the tune anyway..

Motorsport B51's are designed for supercharger applications. I run them. My tune is failry safe at the moment and there holding up fine to 13#'s.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys.

I am going to go with the 8548-pt2 since I will only be at a 15 psi. max (for now).

·
Registered
550 Posts
I called Cometic for prices
Standard set, up to 15#'s and or 14.0 C/R $169.99pr.
Race set, over 15#'s and or over 14.0C/R $ 199.99pr.

Pretty pricey, so make sure your tune isn't eating gaskets cuz you'll only to want to buy one set of these:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts