Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out what exhaust set up I want to change my car over to. I have a 1990 coupe with a coast high 347 stroker which is carbed with holley stage two heads. I already have Mac long tubes on the car now which I am going to keep. I have an offroad H-pipe which I want to do away with for an offroad X-pipe. I also have 1 chamber flows and turndowns. With the new motor and big cam you can not even talk to the person next to you in the car without screaming. I have to put the radio volume on a 25 to even be able to hear it. I want to go with an Xpipe and cat back system with chrom tips. I have been looking at the mac 3 in cat back system with chrome tips and maybe a mac Xpipe>.?? What do you guys think. I do want it quiter, but i dont want it god awful quiet. let me know what you all have. thanx:joy:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have 1 5/8 unequal shortys,2 1/2 off road h-pipe and 2 1/2 flowmaster american thunder 2 chambers. It sounds awsome but has that drone sound at certain rpms with a load on it. But I don't get that drone too much. I'm getting old so I will probably change to something a little quieter in the future.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
MAC unepuals
BBK H-Pipe
Stock tails
3 chamber Flowmasters

I like my setup now. Its not too loud and performs OK considering the mods I have. I don't want to waste money on an aftermarket cat back now without making some more engine mods.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have stock cats (one empty, dont know about the other), 2" pipe coming out of the back of the gutted cat into a 90 degree elbow for a side ehaust I've got about $10 invested in:D However, ive also got a 90hp 200 I6...

I plan on running LTs, high-flow cats, and magnaflows when i get the 351C in the car. 2.5" from the collector back. Personally, i think the magnaflows sound better than dronemasters, the ones ive heard werent near as loud at idle, but sounded great (and really loud) at WOT.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Mac mufflers are just as loud as 2 chamber flowmasters. If you want it quieter, mac aint the way to go. I have the same issue, my car is way too loud and its hard to talk to my passangers. I run shortys, offroad H, 2ch flows I am thinking of swapping to a dynomax race magnum (ultra flo welded) cat back.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have 1 5/8 longtubes, off road x pipe and 2 chamber flowmasters with dumps. It is decently quiet at idle and cruising, but loud as hell at WOT. That droning will just about go away with the longtubes x pipe combo. Mine doesn't drone at crusing speeds, just at ~1,000 RPMs. If you are still able to just bolt up an x pipe, without changing mufflers, I say try just that first to see how you like it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I don't think I would ever consider a flowmaster or mac muffler again after getting my Bassani on my car. I had dumped 2 chamber flows with an o/r h-pipe and headers. It was so loud and obnoxious. I like having it quiet and the loud sound when I get on it. I would never go with a flowmaster again or a mac.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Open Long tubes:eek: :D :p , until I get a ticket(havent driven it yet though)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have bbk lt's and an o/r h, with a 3 chamber catback (looks rather old, previously installed). I have heard dynomax are the quietest. I am sure those 1 chambers are really loud. My 3 chambers are loud at WOT but have a good tone at idel. People outside the car say it sounds really good. I cant wait to get the new engine in with the cam!

The LT's will get rid of the drone for the most part, and seems to take the exhaust noise to the rear.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have:
2.5" offroad bassani X pipe
1 5/8th shorty unequal SS FMS headers
2.5" SS flow tubes
2.5" dynomax welded race magnum mufflers
stock tail pipes

I LOVE IT, it sounds mean as all heck under WOT. I had 2 chamber flowmasters in before the dynomax mufflers, and I HATED IT!!! My ears would ring after driving the car, it was so high pitched and sounded like CRAP! I wouldn't do the flowmaster/ offroad X if I were you, but that is just my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts