Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be doing a 5 lug conversion soon on my 91 coupe and was wondering what else I should replace up front while I have everything apart? Things such as new ball joints, tie rod ends, stabilizer links, bushings, etc... Are any or all of these a good idea? Any other suggestions? If so, who makes good replacement equipment? Does PST have qulity pieces?

Also, I will be using SN95 spindles for the conversion and I just wanted to know whether I should put new bearings on them or should I just leave them alone since it is a "sealed" unit? They dont seem to have any wobble to them when I spin them and they move smoothly but I dont know how many miles are on them. Suggestions...

Thanks for any info.

Just wanted to say thanks to Matt90GT, your website has been very helpful.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
:)

Well hopefully you know your parts list that I had on my site. Little things like adapters and spacers for the spindles.

You may want to consider getting new balljoints while you are doing this. Install some from a 94+ and then you eliminate the need for the balljoint spacer.

For the other parts listed, inspect them all. A haynes or Chilton manual will help you there. Also a good alignment store will check those items before doing the alignment, so there may be more to come later.

Check the Inner and outer tierod ends, rack bushings, strut plate bushings and a arm bushings. Most are very easy to check. I would suggest you consider some new urethane or metal rack bushings and some CC plates like the MM or J&M units that use a spherical bearing in them.

For the hubs, I cleaned them on the spindle really well. Spun them forward and back to check for any feelings of bad or worn bearings. Look for leaks or damage to them. use your best judgement there. I think that most people do not have to get new hubs when they do the swap. They are a good design from Ford to start with and seem to last a long time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Matt for your input. I just have a couple more questions now.

First, yes I have the list of all the smaller parts listed on your site. As far as a 94+ ball joint goes, is a stock piece from any old parts store good enough or should I pick something up after market? If aftermarket, do you recommend any one in particular?

Also, whats the best way to "inspect" a tie rod end?

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have heard that you need to buy the MOOG chassis brand balljoints. Other units do not have good tolerances and can literally fall out of the arm.

To inspect a tierod end, grab the wheel off the ground and check the side to side play. The haynes or chilton manual goes more into detail.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Has anyone ever tried using the 94+ Steeda balljoints in a 5 lug conversion for a 87-93 Fox?

Also, beware of the urethane hardware for the frontend. I went with the complete urethane kit from PST along with Energy urethane for everything else and was very disappointed with how harsh the ride became. If you road race, then no problem. But think twice if this is your daily driver. Fox stangs don't have the best ride to begin with.

My .02

Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts