TEA 185cc TFS heads (298 int, 247 ex)
unported TFS-R intake
TFS Stage II cam
MAC 1 3/4 LT's w/ full 3in catback
Vortech S-trim w/ 2.95/6.87 pullies and power pipe
FMS 42 lb inj w/ stock rails & 4:1 FMU
GSS340 intank w/ T-rex inline and stock lines
Pro-M 80mm mass air
JMS mail order chip (awaiting dyno tune there)

I am only running 8 degrees of timing (base) with a lot of fuel pressure. Trying to keep the new motor safe till I get dyno tuned.
As soon as I get my blower back (getting seals replaced & also a polish) I am gonna take it to the local dynojet as it sits just to see what it makes untuned.

What do you think it will make with the current setup?

How about after it is fully tuned?

Thanks, just trying to make some guesses...

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I had a milder combo than yours and with the stock vortech pulley I sucked the rails dry and melted 7 and 8 so good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
sorry for posting again but with my combo when I sucked the rails dry I had to be pushing 550rwhp. and you have much better flowing heads and exhaust and are spinning that s-trim alot harder.. I am curious to see if your block is up to task as well as your stock fuel rails keep us posted on how the dyno turns out.. dont go into boost before a dyno like my dumbass did.. I was curious to see if it would melt the tires from a 65mph roll in 3rd gear.. it melted 2 back tires and 2 pistons as well :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would have to agree with that! Don't push it until you get the car tuned and the A/F is correct and your timing doesn't sound right but 10degrees is stock base. That's just what I would run. But all in all you should be 500-550. I'm running a completely built 306ci motor with AFR-185 heads and custom everything with a Vortech S-trim and 14# boost and making that much HP.:)

·
Registered
556 Posts
if you are running a stock 2 bolt main block...then your block isnt up to the task. also your fuel system isnt either. you WILL have to detune or run less boost to make that motor and your block survive for any amount of time. looks to me like a 4 bolt block and bout 55-72 lb. injectors with new pumps, lines, and rails is in order.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys. I am using a Boss 302 block, definitely not a stock block. I am thinking about getting rid of my shortblock though. I have tried everything to stop the 2 piece rear main seal from leaking, yet it still leaks. Wish I would have bought a R302 or a Dart now:( .

·
Registered
556 Posts
sorry just now saw your sig. how much HP will a Boss block support?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't actually know how much it is rated for, but I think they can handle 800 to 900 hp fairly easy. A lot of the Pro racers used them before there ever was an A4 or R302.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Dave,

What rpm to plan on as a max? That will determine the power level. I don't see why you couldn't make 650rwhp if you turn that pulley combination to 6500 rpms. How much boost are you seeing now?

Are you planning on going to walker dynotune?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an Autologic chip that had the rev limit set at 6800, but for some reason it will not go past the stock 6250 rev limit (?). It was burned for my old 306 combo that only made 370 rwhp, but with my same fuel system.

I would love to make 650 rwhp, but untuned with my current fuel system I dont think it will. I'm getting so damn frustrated with the little problems I am having that I might not even fool with it anyway :( .

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't think 550 sould be any problem. She might get close to 600 with the right run and at least 12lbs of boost.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Be careful on the Boss block. The main webs are not much better than a stock early block. The factory added a little extra material, and two extra bolts in a wider cap, but nowhere near the material you'll find in a sportsman main web. I made the choice to go with a B50 block over a Boss 302 for these reasons. You'll be ok up to about 650rwhp, but beyond that, you're past the blocks ability.

As for the parts you have, you ought to make very close to, if not a bit more than 600rwhp with an adequate fuel system, and a good tune. Your current fuel system will be done at 500rwhp.

And to reinforce the previous posts, stay completely out of boost until it's tuned!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I haven't seen one internally, but I thought Boss blocks were good to 1000HP, or that's what Bob at BnB told my buddy. He runs low 11s on motor and very low 10s soon to be 9s on a 200shot. Car has put out over 550RWHP for 2 1/2 years and over 575 over 1/2 now. He takes it to 7K, and with a dual stage will be in the 9s. Sorry GT-40 heads keep him from it now. Best time on motor is 11.3/119. Full weight GT with AC/PS. Bob said up to 300 shot is doalble with the internals used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts