Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my car the previous owner told me that she had had a 190* thermostat installed in it. What is a 190* thermostat supposed to so for performance?!?!?!

All I know is that last Spring I had to replace the thermostat because it went out and I replaced it with a stocker because I couldn't find a 190*.... and now my heat don't work worth a ****!!! I guess I know what I'll be replacing next spring before winter hits!

·
Registered
193 Posts
The stock thermostat should be 195. I've never heard of a 190 for the stang, but maybe somebody makes one. Most common one is a 180. A cooler thermostat will cause the engine to run slightly richer, a theoretically, more horsepower. I've had both a 195 and a 180 in mine, and the only difference I see is the 180 runs a little richer, and the 195 gets my heater just a tad bit warmer. I would not suggest running anything lower than a 180. The computer may think it is still warming up and not go into closed loop.

·
Registered
678 Posts
It won't really do anything for you. This is one of those things that people do because it seems to make sense, but really doesn't. Your previous owner probably thought that by putting in a 190 degree thermostat, that he could keep the engine cooler and we all know that a cooler engine runs better right? Not necessarily. True that cooler air is denser and thus makes more horsepower, but the 5.0 engine runs most efficiently at about 210 degrees.

Even if it did make a difference, you're only talking a difference of 5 degrees between the stock unit and the one you previously had. In the grand scheme of things, that's miniscule.

·
Registered
364 Posts
MYLITTLEHO said:
All I know is that last Spring I had to replace the thermostat because it went out and I replaced it with a stocker because I couldn't find a 190*.... and now my heat don't work worth a ****!!!
You probably put it in backwards.

Vernon

·
Registered
323 Posts
To my knowledge the EEC-IV computer supposably does not operate at maximum performance potential unless the water temp is 190 degrees or more. Factory temp is 195. Some aftermarket companies recommend a cold 160 degree thermostat to improve performance but most folks will disagree and feel it will degrade performance because it is too cold. Also, many studies I've seen claim that running a 160 thermostat will wear the cylinder walls and rings at a higher/faster rate than the same engine running a 180 degree or higher. Most of us settle on a 180 degree thermostat and leave it at that.

I've run 160, 180 and 192 degree thermostats in my 5.0 over the years, and the heater provides heat with all of them. Obviously, the heater works better with the higher temp thermostats. Why your heat doesn't work -- first thing I'd check is the thermostat in the car right now to see what you have -- maybe the "stocker" is really a 160. Or maybe it's just stuck open all the time and the engine is never warming up. And if the thermostat were in backwards, I believe the engine would have a tendency to run hot.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thermostat works fine. It's just that since replacing it with a "stocker" the engine doesn't get hot enough to provide ANY kind of warmth. I originally had my dad pick up the thermostat while he was at the part store and I frankly forgot to check to see what Temperature it was.

I will be going back with a 190 thermostat even if it is detrimental to performance... I want my heat damnit!

Maybe you guys can tell me what temp I have... the gauge reads just at, if not a tad bit below half way on the gauge. I guess I'll check later this afternoon to see what temperature the comes out to be

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you put it in backwards it never seals. the water pump will push it open and coolant goes right through it at a slightly restricted rate all the time. It takes a long time to warm up and if you drive it will cool back down. Your heater won't work worth a damn.

You don't need to find a 190, all you need is a new gasket to turn yours around. Think about it, how is a cooler thermostat going to make your heater hotter? Stock = 195, you want 190, that makes no sence. I am a mechanic, thats how I make my living and if I've seen this once I've seen it twenty times. When someone who's not experianced in auto repair does a thermostat themselfs they make this simple mistake 50% of the time. Here's another one you should learn, stock (as in OEM) are usually the highest quality part you can get.

I'm not try to be a smart az I'm trying to help you. If you put any thermostat back in the same way you will still have the same problem. You'll see when you get yours apart, the spring and valve will be facing the thermostat housing instead of going into the intake. When you put one back it should be the other way.

Vernon

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shouldn't have said stock I guess.... what I mean is that my dad just went to the store and found one for a 88 mustang GT 5.0... Knowing my dad he probably thought a thermostat ...is a thermostat... is a thermostat and just picked up one not noticing the temperature.

Yes the thermostat is in right, I made hella sure I put it in the same way the old one came out. the new thermostat was in a bag and had no identifying marks as the what temperature it was. The newer thermostat is cooler than my old 190* because the gauge reads cooler than it did before I switched them out.

The reason my old thermostat went out was because I was running water wetter and water with very little antifreeze and it ended up braking the thermostat when I put regular antifreeze and water back in in the early fall. I am debating on whether I will change this sucker out now (it's not very cold right now and getting warmer) or to wait till next spring.

PS: If I did put the thermostat in backwards... wouldn't it over heat??? I have the opposite problem.. mine doesn't get hot enough..

·
Registered
864 Posts
As u know, doin the thermostat is as simple as pickin yer nose, and just about as cheap. I say go out and get a stock, OEM ;) , thermostat and gasket and redo it.

P.S. On the thermostat, the side the faces the motor, there is that spring that wraps around the brass plug thingie. on the back of it, it will have the temp stamped into it. Sorry I dont know the technical names of the parts :eek:

Good Luck

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hmm... I never really thought about it, but what way is it supposed to go in? Maybe I have mine in backwards....:joy:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Fusion- The spring side of the thermostat faces into the intake, the dome shaped side of the thermostat faces into the thermostat housing. It is very easy to get it wrong if your not paying attention to that detail. Lord knows I've done it before.

MyLittleHO- Are you sure the old thermostat(and new) was installed correctly? Just because you put it in the same as the old one doesn't mean that it was installed correctly to begin with.

There is also the chance that your Dad picked up the wrong temp (or the counter guy got the wrong one). In the book, the part numbers for the thermostats are all listed on the same line. It's easy to pick the wrong one if you don't pay attention to the temp of the TS.

Not trying to bust your balls or anything, just throwing out some ideas.

PS the temp should be on the button on top of the spring, like baer said.

·
Registered
765 Posts
hmm i think my old one was in wrong... because If I remember right, my spring went the other way... ill have to check it out... thanks for the info

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I have used a 160, a 180 and a 190. I usually used the 160 in the summer because my car had an overheating problem but sinceit's a bit colder and I prefer to have heat I use the 190. If your car has aluminum heads you'll want to stick with a hotter temp unit because the car seems to respond better once the heads are fully warmed.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
If you have no heat you might consider that you have a blocked up heater core. This often happens if you don't run anti-freeze in your cooling system. You end up getting a lot of rust in the block that then flows into the heater core blocking the tubes.

FWIW,I have been an automotive professional for over 30 years and I would recommend a 195 thermostat for your car. Those small block Fords just like to be at at least 190-200 degrees to run best.

·
Registered
194 Posts
JMO. The computer was programmed for a 195* stat and a lot of people swear that the sensors are a lot forgiving with the 195* than the 180 or lower. From personal experience, the 180 in my car now does seem to make things a lot richer. I'm going back to the factory stat soon. JMO.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the heater core in the car is brand new so I doubt it has blocked up in one year....

Also which was does the thermostat go... I am pretty sure I installed it with the coil going into the block!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just make sure you have it full of fluid. I know it may sound stupid, but if you dont get any heat from it alot of times the cooling system has a big air bubble in it and ends up at the highest point in the cooling system, which happens to be 90% of the time the heater core. Take the cap off, let the car warm up and make sure the t-stat opens and see if you have enough fluid in there. I have seen this done plenty of times.

·
Registered
381 Posts
That's what I was just gonna say! :mad:
It may not be the problem, but you have to burp the cooling system after you refill it. Otherwise, like mentioned previously, the air bubble circulates through your heater core.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts