Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hid the fact Im blown (or will be shortly). I like the sleeper look and dont want people that roll up on me to see gauges. Like to tell people the car is stock, or just mufflers because they get big heads. You know the kind that beats a GT so they can beat all of them. Well I got a lil suprise for em. I thinking I will put the in the glovebox and just angle them toward me to see.
Do I really need to se the gauges all the time?:confused: Or just when Im beating the crap out of the car?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I myself would not do it. Even if aimed toward you, that's still quite a distance. I'd want something closer to my normal view so I can keep my eyes on my gauges and on the road while racing/driving.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I agree, that's awfully far away to be able to monitor the goings on if you know what I mean. If you want them to be kinda sleeperish you could get the digital gauges (I think Summit sells them, but I forget who makes em) and hook them up to a toggle. That way all the people would see would be black gauge faces but nothing else. If they even see that, from another car it will be dificult to decifer the differance between the A-piller and the gauges since they would be all black when the toggle is off.
When you want to romp on it, flick the toggle on and romp away.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
MySlow2002GT said:
tint your windows, and then they won't be able to see a thing

You could mount them below the stereo/console (fabricate something up) if you think the A-pillar location is too visible of a location.

Just be careful about any state laws regarding tint on your driver/pass side windows.... :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's like putting a TV in the closet. You have to open it to watch it, and it's never really easy to see.

Tint your windows, or wire in a switch so you can turn off the gauge lights at night. It's easy to do.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Why hide it?? Do you really get a thrill out of beating lil pissants that never really had a chance? It gets old dude. Get a blower they can hear and reinforce the message with some gauges in plain sight. Then you only have to deal with the clueless and the true competition. Ignore the clueless ones (they're not safe to be around in the first place) and invite the true competiton to meet you at the track. Then you don't risk wasting innocent parties while having your fun. Or maybe avoiding true competition is the whole idea here?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Rick Evans said:
...Then you only have to deal with the clueless and the true competition. Ignore the clueless ones (they're not safe to be around in the first place) and invite the true competiton to meet you at the track. Then you don't risk wasting innocent parties while having your fun...
Rick, very well said. Theres a bunch of wisdom in those sentences, especially the last one.

[edit] and on the original topic, I would think that when you are in boost the last place you need to be looking is inside the car about 45-60 degrees off your most important viewing direction. better have some serious good peripheral vision...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
TriBlkCobra said:
Rick, very well said. Theres a bunch of wisdom in those sentences, especially the last one.

[edit] and on the original topic, I would think that when you are in boost the last place you need to be looking is inside the car about 45-60 degrees off your most important viewing direction. better have some serious good peripheral vision...
Yeah agreed! Any real competition is going to know you have a blower no matter what. Even the "quiet" blowers make enough noise to tip off the trained ear. If your like me, and you just like a clean look, I guess you could always get the instrument bezel thing that has the 2 holes in it on either side of the steering wheel for gauges. No one outside the car would be able to see them.
I am sure that you have never driven a car that made serious boost, because if you had, you would not be asking this question. And don't get me wrong, I'm not being a ****, I just think you will understanf better what we are talking about once you drive the car in full boost. :evilgrin: You won't want to take your eyes away from dead a head. :D The closer the gauges are to the view of the driver, the better.
I respect your idea of wanting to be clean and stealth, but a blower is not the right choice if that's what your looking for. Look into nitrous.

·
Registered
489 Posts
From what I know (which isn't much) you won't need to look at the guages that much. I mean if you feel something is wrong with the car then pop the glove box open and take a look. But even then it might be hard to drive and look at the same time to find out whats wrong. I say if you wanna do it then do it. I know I hate it when I wanna do something or buy something and someone tells me no or it will be a bad idea. Most the time it don't change my mind anyway so I say GO FOR IT!!! YOU CAN DOO 'ET!!!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
"But even then it might be hard to drive and look at the same time to find out whats wrong."

Really??

Further evidence there is a lack of experiential knowledge here. When hard into the boost it's a real problem to monitor the gauges even when they're right in front of your face. Keeping that missile pointed in a safe direction is just about all you can deal with as quickly as things are happening, and by the time you 'feel' something is wrong ..... well, that was probably the feeling of your wallet imploding.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yoop33 said:
From what I know (which isn't much) you won't need to look at the guages that much. I mean if you feel something is wrong with the car then pop the glove box open and take a look. But even then it might be hard to drive and look at the same time to find out whats wrong. I say if you wanna do it then do it. I know I hate it when I wanna do something or buy something and someone tells me no or it will be a bad idea. Most the time it don't change my mind anyway so I say GO FOR IT!!! YOU CAN DOO 'ET!!!!!
You obviously don't have a blower. :rolleyes:
Like I said prior, drive a blown car and you will understand. You will want to monitor fuel pressure, at least, on a regular basis. Not to mention boost fluctuation. When you drive a blown car everyday, for a long period of time, just like anything you will get used to it. Eventually you will learn to know what is going on just by feel, but that is after LOTS of experience and you can still never be to sure when it comes to fuel pressure ;)
Differant weather, gas, altitude, blagh blagh, all effect the way a blown car runs. The gauges will help you learn how to drive the car and deal with these changes. Going without them is like playing russian roulette. :blam:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Rick Evans said:
and by the time you 'feel' something is wrong ..... well, that was probably the feeling of your wallet imploding.
That's exactly what I was trying to say, but the way you said it sounds better :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
I wanted the same thing the stealth look b/c even to a trained ear its real hard to hear a saleen blower at idle especially with exhaust. Heres my current work in progress. I still have guages Fuel pressure and oil pressure around the instrument cluster those seemed more important that the boost guage and volt guage. :Flame suit on:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Why the flame suit? I agree with your statements. I kinda like the idea that you have there. I think I would have made sure they were a little more lined up, but I like the idea. ;)
Could just be the angle of the pic too, they just look crooked :hammer:
I do agree that the fuel and oil pressure gauges are more important than the boost gauge though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
They are perfectly lined it it the weird angle of the pic. Believe me Im too much of a perfectionist to have them crooked. If you need your cigarette lighter (for the radar) it still hooked up just under the bezel.

·
Registered
306 Posts
lotsaspray said:
That's what I figured. Pretty cool how you have the cig lighter hooked up too.
Thanks man. Most that have looked at the car only see the FP and OP guage and gloss over the other guages. Got the idea from the marauder. The boost is real easy to glance down to but I needed something else for it to be symetrical, hence the least important guage(volts) Now if we can get a company to back it I'd be a happy camper.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts