Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told quite a few times by guys on here that my rockers were set too tight. They were set 1 full turn after 0 lash. Well, it took me 4 days to do it right cause I had to do it over 3 times, but its finally done. I set them 1/2 turn after 0 lash.They are a hair noiser than they were at 1 turn though. What do you think I could gain at the track? I am hoping to go Wed night for t&t. Is a 1mph increase realistic or a dream? I'll say this, I took the car out Sat night and punched it from 2nd and banged 3rd hard and got fishtailly. The car never does that unless its very cold out which i was not Sat night, but it was chilly. I was running 22.5psi in my nitto dr's at the time. They are not that great on the street anyway unless its hot & sunny and the ground is warmed up. So what do you think?

Also, my tune is 18* timing and 37psi FP. I'm gonna make a pass as is then tune the car next pass. I think the timing is fine, so should I lower fp or bump it? I think i'm gonna lower it. I would like to hit a 109 trap speed on Wed night.

Mike

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hard to guess weather loosening the lash on your rockers will make you run faster. If it feels better I bet it will run faster. My car felt better after I loosened mine from 3/4 to 1/4 and I ran better next time to the track. I think you can trap 109. My car has been apart for a while. When I get it back together I hope to run about what your running. Ill have to make a trip to 1/4 mile track though. Only close tracks are 1/8 mile. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
What injectors do you have? If they are 19s then I wouldn't go any lower, if not, disregard.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zeus, i'm running 24lb injectors.

RHS2002, what mph difference did you see from loosening them?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I dont really know. I gained just shy of 1 mph but I also unhooked my sway bar at the same time. Alowed me to cut a better 60 so I dont know if it was from that or the rockers.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Back in the stone age when most cars came factory equipped with adjustable valve trains, it was a common pratice to back off the lifter adjustment untill you got a slight valve tick. You would then tighten the adjuster down about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. What this did was allow the lifter plunger to ride at the top of its travel, thereby preventing lifter pump up, as the lifter plunger was already extended about as far as it would go in the lifter body, effectively making it a "solid" lifter. Now days, we have much improved lifter and spring designs, and this little trick is no longer needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts