Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 gt (stick shift) and 3 weeks ago I took it in to get a couple of things fixed. I had them change the rear diff fluid, transmission fluid, and fix my oil leak (which was the oil pan gasket and the rear main seal). Then when I got the car back it was riding kind of rough.

In the lower gears and lower end of RPM it shakes/rumbles a lot and does not feel smooth as when I dropped it off. I took it back and they found my transmission mount was broken so I paid for a new one but the problem still exists. They keep saying it is in my head and nothing is wrong but I know how the car is supposed to feel and it is A LOT rougher than before. Plus I think they broke the mount when putting the trans back in because it never felt rough before.

Now at idle my car seems rougher, the battery gauge is also less than half (which it wasn't like that before i took it in). I just feel like they messed something up or didn't line the trans back up correctly or something. I don't know what to do, I took it back to them 3 times but they always say it's nothing.

Anyone have any clues as to what could have happened? Could the new gaskets be the problem? Do they have a break in period? I just know it doesn't ride the same since I got it back and I'm pretty annoyed. It has been 3 weeks!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yea they could have put the drive shaft back in wrong or they damaged it. They are suppose to mark it so it goes right back in the same spot .do you have a check engine light on?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is the engine RUNNING rough or is the car jsut vibrating? You can tell if it's coming from the engine or rear.

The tranny doesn't come out to replace the mounts. If the driveshaft bolts are loose it'll vibrate like crazy too ... especially when you let off the gas.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It vibrates when i accelerate and I can only feel it during the lower part of the RPMs, 'til about 1600. They replaced my tranny mounts after dropping it to fix rear main seal. It never had any vibrating before they replaced the rear main seal and oil pan gasket. I personally think they broke the transmission mount but I don't think I can prove that. I will have them check the drive shaft since a couple of you are thinking that could be it. I just hate how I get it out the shop and feels worse than when I had all the oil leaks, which didn't effect anything :(...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is definitely coming from the front, engine is still strong even after 206,000 miles! I had ZERO issues until I took it to the shop.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
id bet the flywheel and pressure plate didnt get lined back upthe way they were?

·
Registered
223 Posts
^^^^ the tranny is removed for replacing the rear main seal
:eek: Ha, I clearly missed the rear main seal part of the post. Yeah ... I'm betting it flywheel/clutch related.

·
Registered
378 Posts
206K:eeek:. My guess is u-joints. Not their fault. It's just time and pulling the driveshaft and reinstalling was the last straw. Take it to a driveline shop and have the u-joints replace and the balance checked. It will drive smoother than ever.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm guessing a lot of my suspension could be replaced after 206,000 miles lol. It has not been vibrating AS hard lately, but is still there. Haven't had the time to get it checked out again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts