Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 cobra with 42k on it. I'm buying a clutch but i would like too know what your two cents are on a brand. I thinking about going with the FMS part #7560-a302. But i also hear good things about the centerforce dual-friction. Please help me on this one. I'm also going to buy a billet steel flywheel. The car is not stock and i just put nitto DR 275/40/17. I plan on letting the clutch out at more than 3500 rpm when i go too the track. Thanks Sam

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have the FRPP HD clutch w/ McLeod Kelvar disk from the Racing Zone (ask for Keith and tell him you're from the Corral for a special price). I also bought the billet steel flywheel from him at the same time.

If you don't have an adjustable quadrant, I suggest the UPR with firewall adjuster and stock cable.

This bad boy grabs like a mofo. Only drawback is clutch chatter, but going light on the gas pedal during startup helps that. But when you want to do a 3,500 dump, you better hang on tight b/c this clutch will hook up.

Do a search here on "Kelvar McLeod" and you will be able to see what others say. One more thing, it grabs like a mofo!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My vote goes to the Spec stage 2. My friend is running the stage 3, which i just ordered also, and it really grips. Minimal chatter at first, then fades away. The stage two is enough for your HP. The complete clutch was roughly $350.

Jerome

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I just had a SPEC Stage III installed, with aluminum flywheel. The clutch REALLY grabs. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the aluminum fly. Still breaking everything in. The Centerforce Dual Friction is quite popular.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a centerforce dual friction and wouldnt trade it for anything, but I havent drivin a car with any other clutch(other then stock). But the centerforce grabs hard enough to pull the stock quadrant out of adjustment on hard launches(if you pop the clutch, it sticks, even at 5k rpm's), my stock quadrant broke shortly after I got the new clutch:rolleyes: No matter what clutch you get, I would get a aftermarket quadrent and firewall adjuster, I got the whole steeda setup.
Dan

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I would suggest you get ahold of SPEC 1-800-828-4379. Also if you plan on running drag radials I would suggest you get a aluminum flywheel. That way you don't hit the D/R as hard as you would with a billit steel flywheel. They will make you a great deal on the combo if you buy them both from them. Great people to deal with:)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
My CenterForce DF just gave up (though no fault of this excellent clutch, it was wrong clutch for my power level), and I'm going with the SPEC stage 111 Clutch Al FW package. I believe stage 2 would be excellent for NA users.

However, my CenterForce with Ford HD PP was a great driving clutch, and held up longer than I expected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.