Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what clutch would you recomend for 650+ rwhp? it will still be used on the street to, but not that often. i run a CF D/F now and have broke the disc going 10.60's, so it not even something i would even try.

i was thinking spec, as i know as few people that run those and seem to have good luck, but they dont run quite that power either........

·
Registered
18 Posts
In the Oct. '03 issue of MM&FF, the cover featured two 9.50 sec. cars from X2C performance that were both five speeds. They were both running modified TKO's with McCleod clutches, press. plates, and flywheels. They weren't specific on the clutch model, but if you would like I could scan and email you the article.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think I would try the Spec stage-5. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have ran the Spec Stage III for two summers now. Last summer had 530 rwhp. About 12 4,000 -5,000 RPM launches and races on a full attire 90 gt in cobra kit and roll cage. This year 771 rwhp and three passes to date.

Total of about 5,000 miles on the clutch. The stage III is a nice clutch. Very streetable and a light pedal feel. Not Honda Civic light but, not as heavy as others. It is aggresive but, not overtly. I enjoy it, when you start smaking gears you feel it hit, no slippage there.

Stage IV may be a better choice but will be more aggresive and less streetable. I would contact SPEC for more specifics.

But if streetabilty is of little concerne, then I would say stage IV, else go eith the stage III. I really like the clutch.,

·
Registered
425 Posts
People have mentioned tranny breakage with some high-stage spec clutches. Can anyone back this up?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so, i called spec, they said the stage 3 is good for 650-680 rwtq. being i was looking at that in twhp, i'm sure the tq. wont be that high. they said they have a stage 3 billet option, where the pressure plate is 5 pounds lighter, has much more pressure and the plate is rebuildable AND should have exactly the same pedel pressure and driveability as the stock stage 3. he said that should hold 800+ rwtq. that actually sounds like the hot ticket. anybody run one of those?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i actually just found this......
stage 1 - 410 ft lbs tq capacity
stage 2 - 520 ft lbs tq capacity
stage 3 - 680 ft lbs tq capacity
stage 4 - 680 ft lbs tq capacity
stage 5 - 1100 ft lbs tq capacity

looks like even a stage 2 would hold a mid 10 sec car. mabie a 3 will be enough......

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
MOORESTANGS said:
I think I would try the Spec stage-5. Good Luck!!
I agree. The reason he says this is because he saw my stage three Spec clutch after 12 passes last year making 655 rwhp 521 rwtq. It was hammered. I would at least use the stage 4. I currently run the stage 5 and it is very streetable. Keep in mind my car is fairly heavy and I was launching at 6500 for most of those passes. Spec acted like it was a bad clutch for whatever reason and upgraded me for dirt cheap and fixed my hammered flywheel for free. I am leary and would opt for the heavier duty clutch. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
BTW when I get off vacation I can post some pictures of that clutch setup. (the blown stage 3)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
the stage 3 is too much of a clutch for a stock t5 however..but i doubt you have a stock trans making that kinda power

ive killed 2 stock t5s in matter of 2.5 months with my spec stage 3 only making 276 rwhp on motor...killed 1 at the track and 1 on the street..same gear..same outcome...bent input shaft and w/e else went

·
Registered
976 Posts
YSIGONZO,

How is the stage 5 on the street compared to the stage 3. I am assuming my stage III is not going to last much longer. Been two summers. And by the sound of it you say the 5 should hold up better and last longer.

What would you say the downside of the IV or V vs. the III. I currrently have a TKO and am considering an AOD next summer.
I enjoy the 5 speed and primarily drive 5,000 miles per summer here in OHIO and race about 12 passes per summer. Would my TKO hold the IV or V fine or would I also need to switch to the new TKO's or even the X2C Motorsport versions??

Fezzy74

My times have not been the greatest with the TKO 11.20's last year with the 530's and this year hopefully 10.60-10.70. with the 670's Again this is a fairly heavy car also.

The AOD will dramatically improve my times and consistency. I don't truley powershift. Which hurts my blower car and times.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
My TKO is street Pro Shifted so it can handle the power and abuse of the stage 5. Last year my TKO was stock and took the abuse and stayed together BUT had some issues inside when Pro-Motion did their magic. I never noticed and you might not either but there is a key on one of the gears (dont remember which but I think it is third) and it had spun the key and gear. They couldnt press it off even with 150 tons of pressure so I had to buy a whole new cluster. This would apply to anything making over about 600 rwhp. As far as the clutch the stage 5 really isnt too much different from the 3 (as far as street driving). The only real difference I have noticed is that it has a much more posistive engagement. Its not chatter it just engages easier and quicker. The pedal pressure is the same. It does squeel sometimes on engagement due to the sintered iron disc but is not annoying or loud and only does it for a split second. I wish I would have gone with this clutch in the first place. It does NOT slip on launch like my stage 3 would. In fact I have been on the bumper (tailpipes) a few times after dumping the clutch. I would definately not hesitate to use it in a street car. Im not sure how much the stage 5 is new but in my opinion cost would be the only drawback between the two. For anything 600 rwhp and under I would probably opt for the stage 3. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Anyone have a rough idea as to the price differences between the stage III, IV, and V?

I know the Stage III typically sells for around $300-$320. I've never priced anything beefier than that.

I'm looking at a Stage III but don't really want to change the clutch until I put a new tranny in it.

Alan

·
Registered
976 Posts
UPDATE ON MY STAGE III.

FRIED. I went to put some good times on my YSI car last night, and can we say SLIPPAGE.

Well the clutch has now lasted about 16 passes and 8,000-10,000 miles. The clutch has been awesome up till last night.

Launch at 4,500 went pretty good. 1.56 60'. Whent to smack second, pegged rev limiter, got off gas and back on, back to rev limiter, threw into third, pegged rev limiter. Went to fourth and just coasted.

Good news is had 7.0's 1/8 mile with all those issues. Looks promissing for later.

The car is also a heavy car. 90 GT in cobra skins and full interior, with roll cage and dynamat sound deadening.

Now the question is automatic or a new spec clutch.

Now will have to miss the racing at Norwalk OH Fun Ford Weekend next week.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Anyone familiar with the Mccleod twin disk setup. I heard this may be the way to go as opposed to another stage III.

For the price of the stage III and aluminum flywheel, I can get the Mcleod twin disc setup with aluminum flywheel also.

Are these a lot heavier, or what. Good bad anyone?? Seem to be good for a street strip car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts