Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
I was under the impression the current competitive cars in the class are capable of well over that. Soft off the line and ramp it in FLYING out the back under absurd power to steal the stripe. Not going to run near the time 3,000 hp should on top notch track prep. Maybe I’m wrong???
With the weight advantages it would make up for a decent amount, the current cars make more power but on no prep tracks none can put it down so they are having to bring it in slower. With the big weight advantage it would get off the line better and be able to use more of the power earlier on. I cant say whether it would compete or not, but on paper it sounds good lol

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
small block single turbo 2475lbs
small block twin turbo up to 88 2600 larger than 88 2700
small block centrifugal 2500
small block screw blower 2750
modular ford engine gets 100lb weight break from base weight
500 cubic inch limit
max bore space 4.600 but 100lb penalty added to base
no weight for 4.500 bore space added
deck height is 10.200 max
m1 only or race gas
small block naturally aspirated unlimited weight

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,358 Posts
What is the bore spacing of a Boss 429 block. That might make an interesting platform for a Ford powered entry.

Jon Kaase might have an interest in a project of this nature.

Jay
Lol....I've already mentioned a Kaase engine to him. My neighbor use to race PDRA mountain motor pro stock, he's retired now and has a spare Kaase 820ci engine and Liberty 5 speed trans just sitting in his garage. He will sell it but it ain't cheap by no means, 100k+ for engine and trans.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Lol....I've already mentioned a Kaase engine to him. My neighbor use to race PDRA mountain motor pro stock, he's retired now and has a spare Kaase 820ci engine and Liberty 5 speed trans just sitting in his garage. He will sell it but it ain't cheap by no means, 100k+ for engine and trans.
That all? Shoot give me 3! On a side note why does he want so much when you can buy brand new directly from Kaase for cheaper? Last I looked (its been a little bit) I could of swore his big inch stuff was in the 30-40k range.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,153 Posts
3k hp for what he is asking? He already runs north of that. The sad but real answer is to run in a lower less competitive class. Anything real small block Ford will not compete without a miracle.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Are those mod- motors stock block? I would assume not.

My choice would be 9.5 -10'' deck height SBF; billet or otherwise block. 4.5'' spacing. 460- 500 cui
2 turbo's. Or maybe one very biggo.
Why? Because I would do all the maintainance myself.

If you have a team beside you, or the money to pay some pro's to take care of your engine- package (and the rest of the car); anything goes. What resources you have at hand is a big part of the equation.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
That all? Shoot give me 3! On a side note why does he want so much when you can buy brand new directly from Kaase for cheaper? Last I looked (its been a little bit) I could of swore his big inch stuff was in the 30-40k range.
Lol.....you want buy a 820ci pro stock engine for 30-40k! Your thinking of his street engines. The block is a Dart billet with a Bryant billet crank,Titianiam connecting rods and makes 2000hp N/A. That Liberty 5 speed was 15k alone with all the upgrades it has.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You didn't hear it from me, but if you throw enough nitro to it, it'll make power. Blower required to get enough air into it, and it'll be a BIG blower.

On a SBF you are kind of limited by a lot of things. probably gonna have to look at nitro and/or a mix of nitro/methanol. I won't go much into detail with that. Just knwo that you will need a ton of it along with literally tons of spare parts.

The hemi's are popular for good reason. They work and they are plentiful and they are tested.

I'd look at a modular platform if it were me, just a better design from the get-go even with the lack of displacement.
no nitro allowed m1 or race gas only... you are so right about the hemi power plant.... proven cookie cutter combos out there.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I was under the impression the current competitive cars in the class are capable of well over that. Soft off the line and ramp it in FLYING out the back under absurd power to steal the stripe. Not going to run near the time 3,000 hp should on top notch track prep. Maybe I’m wrong???
man it's like trying to answer the question how long is a piece of string.. i saw an 1800 hp setup do well and win a race... but more than likely the bigger hp wins.. if it's a sketchy track that will only hold 1800 hp, it's easier to be able to make 3k hp and use power management, than it is to twist a weaker combo to it's max effort of 1800 hp even tho both cars had to be tuned to make the 1800 the 3k hp car thats detuned will outrun the max hp 1800 engine..

this is a bad analogy kinda.. but i really like where the discussion is going.. lots of good stuff being thrown around.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
man i love those ol mountain motors .... love to get one of the musi 956's or bigger with 6 kits... but maintenance on the big stuff like that is more than the boosted stuff.. the boosted stuff maxes out around 540ish cubes ... i'm actually 509 with a 4 inch stroke and 4.500 bore... makes for one fun little combo at 8k rpm..

i do have another combo with more compression and more cubes i run too... however it's a completely different animal.. better on a prepped track

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
man i love those ol mountain motors .... love to get one of the musi 956's or bigger with 6 kits... but maintenance on the big stuff like that is more than the boosted stuff.. the boosted stuff maxes out around 540ish cubes ... i'm actually 509 with a 4 inch stroke and 4.500 bore... makes for one fun little combo at 8k rpm..

i do have another combo with more compression and more cubes i run too... however it's a completely different animal.. better on a prepped track
Your absolutely right about the maintenance on those mountain motors. My neighbor had 3 when he was racing full time,every 30 quarter or 60 eighth mile passes required a full refresh especially turning them 8-8500rpm. 10k a refresh also and that was dropping them off at Kaase's, went with him a few times their, would take 2 at a time while the 3rd one was getting put in. The whole shop dropped everything they were doing to refesh those engines when he showed up. In 4 hrs they would tear both apart,install all new bearings, rings, valve springs and reseal them back up. 20k for 4hrs work and parts plus he would give each employee a crisp new $100 bill tip to boot.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts