Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok everyone is sbf experts here.. what would it take to make a SBF live at power levels needed to run 3's in a no prep car?? what would your combo consist of?

B cam... GT40 intake... afr 165's and stock forged pistons .. just wont work.. tried that..
my old combo was an E 303 cam... TF 170 heads.. and trickflow intake with s trim .... need something more powerful..

·
Registered
270 Posts
8.2 or 9.5?

For the sake of discussion, I think you're probably talking about the toughest block you can buy, the most displacement you can get out of it, high revving rotating assembly and valvetrain, fuel injection, nitro/methanol mix and the biggest Procharger you can put on it. I don't know if you could get close to your ET target with that but if I were building the fastest, most reliable no prep car I could think of and was stuck with an SBF, that's the kind of what I'd be thinking. Buying the parts, putting it together right, getting it to go fast AND be reliable are four different things. Most people here, including myself, are probably only capable of the first step, if that even.

·
Registered
881 Posts
3's????
First thing I think of is fletcher cox's car... billet proline 481x with twin 102mm's

I'd just reach out to proline and have a blank 6 figure check laying around.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3's????
First thing I think of is fletcher cox's car... billet proline 481x with twin 102mm's

I'd just reach out to proline and have a blank 6 figure check laying around.
i'm very familiar with that car, and a few others of his.. but a 481x isnt sbf or even BBF ... the weight breaks in the rules will most definitely help if you could stay sbf.. here is my thing when it all comes down to it... ok... im a ford guy through and through... and i HATE doing what everyone else is doing like i'm doing now.. i've got the typical pro mod setup with my little 63 split window.. but what i'm thinking is one day i wanna jump back into a ford... and when i do, it will be ford powered.. now BBF is a possibility, but there are so many weight breaks i could take advantage of Small block ford.. most of the cars running no prep would easily go 3's on a good surface.. the no prep requires building big power so you can manage it...

i sure do miss the days of bracket racing.. this street/no prep stuff is getting outta hand quicker than i can order parts..

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why limit yourself to SBF?
i would just like to get away from the blown hemi type stuff and get back in a ford one day... and i'm not putting a chevy or hemi in my mustang... in reality it's probably a pipe dream.. but i'm just sitting here thinking too much as always...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
8.2 or 9.5?

For the sake of discussion, I think you're probably talking about the toughest block you can buy, the most displacement you can get out of it, high revving rotating assembly and valvetrain, fuel injection, nitro/methanol mix and the biggest Procharger you can put on it. I don't know if you could get close to your ET target with that but if I were building the fastest, most reliable no prep car I could think of and was stuck with an SBF, that's the kind of what I'd be thinking. Buying the parts, putting it together right, getting it to go fast AND be reliable are four different things. Most people here, including myself, are probably only capable of the first step, if that even.
yes purely discussion for now.. i have way to much invested in this program to switch right in the middle of the ballgame.. maybe one day tho... i really do miss being ford powered in everything.. on the other hand... i'm doing some cool stuff with a cleveland right now..

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Who wants to go straight when there are so many corners to be had? Rhetorical question, please ignore.

Need at least a glimpse of the rule book for the class. Would a billet aluminum block be allowed? Power adders? Hammer heads (hemi style)? This stuff is WAY outside of my wheelhouse.

Jay

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Who wants to go straight when there are so many corners to be had? Rhetorical question, please ignore.

Need at least a glimpse of the rule book for the class. Would a billet aluminum block be allowed? Power adders? Hammer heads (hemi style)? This stuff is WAY outside of my wheelhouse.

Jay
will have to get back to the rule book tomorrow.. but yes billet is ok.. only one poweradder.. hammer heads definitely i would think be absolutely necessary

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
i honestly dont know enough about the mod stuff to even venture an opinion... but if you do please share some thoughts .... thats what the thread is for....
The factory 4V Mod motors (blocks and 4V heads) are robust enough to get you there. The heads/block have been stout enough to run in the 5's @ 250 mph. John Mihovetz is one of the pioneers and MMR is ranked up there too:

The best forum for 4V info at that power level is below and I bet if you ask the same question there Ed will chime in with all kinds of Tech/Eng info that will make your head spin..

KS

·
Registered
566 Posts
If it were me and I were building the baddest small block I could think of, my build would be this.

New Dart block with the taller deck, I believe they have a 11.2 deck small block now that could make it to over 600 cu/in with the larger bore spacing. Id put heavily worked Hammerhead heads on it. Higher compression pistons with methanol and a big single turbo if you cant run twins. Custom intake and all that jazz. I think that would be in the neighborhood of 3000hp considering the smaller cu/in versions with the 9.5 deck motors can make 2-2500hp with those heads. I obviously dont have experience with this type of motor, but Ive been heavily thinking about buying a set of hammerhead heads. I love the looks and performance they give. If it werent for covid taking a hit on work, I would of already done it.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
You didn't hear it from me, but if you throw enough nitro to it, it'll make power. Blower required to get enough air into it, and it'll be a BIG blower.

On a SBF you are kind of limited by a lot of things. probably gonna have to look at nitro and/or a mix of nitro/methanol. I won't go much into detail with that. Just knwo that you will need a ton of it along with literally tons of spare parts.

The hemi's are popular for good reason. They work and they are plentiful and they are tested.

I'd look at a modular platform if it were me, just a better design from the get-go even with the lack of displacement.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,148 Posts
Ha... at 3000hp I doubt it matters too much.

ks
I was under the impression the current competitive cars in the class are capable of well over that. Soft off the line and ramp it in FLYING out the back under absurd power to steal the stripe. Not going to run near the time 3,000 hp should on top notch track prep. Maybe I’m wrong???

1 - 20 of 61 Posts