Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause the tach to sort of 'stick' on a WOT blast? As it's going up and reaches around 3800+ it starts to stick, then suddenly climbs again, slows, sticks, continues slowly, sticks, suddenly climbs, etc. It's totally inconsistent w/it's stick/climb pattern and happens in pretty much all gears. Is there something possibly going on w/my ingnition? Last time this happened was a few years back and a week later my head gasket gave out...I'm hoping this isn't the case though. My coolant temp. gauge is acting funny too...

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=224462

...hopefully these are 2 seperate issues though. I'm really wondering why my tach is sticking like this at WOT though, when I take it up to redline slowly it doesn't do this...it's real steady. Any help....??? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sticking Tach & Temp gauge.

Dude!

If you still have the factory gauges in your car, and you have just done a partial engine disassembly. You may have left a engine too body ground cable off, or loose, when you reassembled the engine.
Since they are whats known as inductive style (the power from the ignition goe's through the gauge,then to the engine) all of the ground staps from the engine to the body have to be connected securly, for the Tach, oil pressure and water temp gauges to work correctly.

See Ya!

Mike C. :cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts