Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 2000 bucks to spend and about to put my car back on the road as my daily driver and park my Lightning.. The reason I stopped driving it was b/c it seemed as if I bent a pushrod, I have no clue it's just idling like it's got a cam in it.. I want to be able to run mid 13s when i go to the track .. Best time last time I took it was a 14.3 and I know I could have done better if it wasn't for my sorry traction tires..

My mods are GT40 Y aluminum heads(yeah I know I could have done better) , Cobra upper/lower intake, 3.73 gears, 65mm throttle body Pro M mass air flow senser 75mm. Mac equal lenth headers, bassani X pipe, 2 chamber cat back flowmasters and K&N air filter..THe usual bolt on mods minus a cam to finish everything off..In the process of having my car fixed, what cam would go good with my combo? Also what other things should I replace when putting a cam in? Motor has 150,000 miles but runs very strong.. I won't a cam that will give me a nice deep lope sound.. ALso i'm considering turn down mufflers..Would I have to install some different mufflers and can I still use my Xpipe?..

One last question is..I'm planning on purchasing some Centerline Convos that I found for a very good price.. I want to run 15X7s in the front and 16X9s in the back.. What tire package is wise to run with these wheels..I want a nice wide stance in the back w/out the wheels sticking too far out..

Oh I forgot..Will the cam and also some good hooking tires put me closer to mid 13s .. I had some sorry Daytona Daytons on my car when I ran the 14.3 and spun every gear...

Thanks for your help! :D

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
crane 2031(cobra cam)this cam is made for 1.7 rockers.has had alot of good reviews.people just enjoy this cam.
with good hooking tires you should have mid to high 13's.
what kind of suspension? as many people forget to upgrade this area.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still stock.. I had a suspension kit but had to resell it b/c it didn't suit launching at the track..I had the Eibach sportline but from what people have been telling me it kills your launch at the track and only for handling purposes... Any suggestions on suspensions would help also..

any cam sugestions for the stock 1.6 rockers?
THanks for your reply

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
lunati lun-81302(220in./ex dur-.512"lift and 111lsa).summit racing had this cam on sale for 115.00 awhile back they may stilll have then on sale.
maybe trick flow stage I(275/279dur-.499/.510"lift)
these are just a couple cams to choose from.
i think the lunati cam would have the better sound at idle.
i'm not to fond of the single pattern camshafts,but to each thier own.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think your mods list looks good. There are many cams that will work well with your combo but none will work as good as a custom camshaft. I'd try pricing around a custom and if you can get a good deal then go for it. If you decide on an off the shelf cam, then I'd go with the Lunati 51014 (I think thats the #) Many people have had success with this cam on mild motors and a friend of mine had this cam a few years ago and the car had perfect driveability. As for suspension, the Eibach Drag launch springs are really good and don't give a harsh ride. Some Lakewood 70/30's or 90/10's up front and some 50/50's in the rear will definately help you launch with some sticky tires. I don't see why you shouldn't be in the 12's on slicks with a setup such as this.
P.S. Don't use the stock rockers

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks a lot guys.. what about lifters? would I need new lifters or can I run with what I have stock?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts