Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helping a friend set up his 88 GT as a strip car/ weekend warrior type of thing and I'm not too sure what kind of cam to suggest ( he's new to mustangs, and I've never even put thought into carbed cars-shame on me). It's either gonna have AFR 165's or Trick Flow TW's, Edelbrock or Weiand intake, and definitly longtubes. I'm just wondering if anyone here could help out too.:)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Comp cams have a nice little cam don't have part # but it has 220/224 @ 50 544/560 lift should go well IMO..Carbed..

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
One more vote for Comp. I use the NX264HR, adv. duration 264 I/278 E. Lift .512 I/E. Lobe sep 114. Works excellent with my carbed combo.
You may want to go a little larger than this, because I run an AOD and have stock pistons, so I had to consider that. Check out www.compcams.com , you can get a complete listing there.

Stay away from the FRPP letter cams. That is old school technology, and there is much better stuff on the market these days. (I had the E-cam:barf: )

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, looks like a good cam (I'm searching the compcams online catalogue for that one right now- ah the joy of being able to run multiple windows:D ). Think that cam would do equally well with either a built C4 or a Tremec TKO?(he's still undecided about which tranny to run)

·
Registered
396 Posts
If he's got the cash, go custom. Otherwise, the above mentioned 220/224 comp cam looks good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
call comp cams cam help lline.
they will design based on need, and expected performance.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just a thought

If I was to build anything that was gonna see a considerable amount of track time. Hard launches slicks etc.... I would go with a Old Toploader 4 speed. These things lived most of their lives behind big blocks in the early 70's I think they would do just great behind a small block. The only factor would be street driving
gearing etc.. visit http://www.4speedtoploaders.com/ Keen toploaders they have a complete late model swap kit even built trannies.

Luck !
Ralph

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car will more than likely see a good bit more street duty than it will the track, but his standards for streetability arent exactly picky;) Anyone have any dyno #'s or track times for similar combos, particularly 1/8th mile times since all of the tracks in the area are 1/8th mile for some reason:confused:. By the way, does anyone have any experience with the trick flow cams, they seem promising for the price.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I run a Ultradyne Cam 286dur/525 lift with TFS TW heads, performer RPM intake, and holley 670 street avenger carb. I ran a [email protected] on BFG drag radials last weekend with a 1.88 60ft.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blue92: Great times! Do you have any port work done on the heads or intake? BTW, just noticed that you aren't all that far from me. Were you run at?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another vote for the comp cam. I am running with an Xtreme Energy 274. Specs are valve lift: .555 intake, .565 exhaust with 1.6 rocker. duration @ .50: 224/232. 112 LSA

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well that 8.04 was at Music City Raceway in Nashville. I live about 40 miles N of Nashville. My heads and intake are stock out of the box. I just have parts that match really well with each other. If you have any questions just shoot me an e amil at [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts