Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 cobra with a stock shortblock and have bought some add-ons for it such as : afr 165's, E-303 cam, shorties, PIH and A9L computer, shorties, 3"73's etc. I would like to add a polished supercharger for under hood appeal and a little more horsepower. I ran a 6# powerdyne on a stock 95 cobra and saw around 5# of boost. My question is with my current combo with heads, cam etc. will I see a lot less boost than on my 95 cobra or about the same. I was thinking about their 9# unit, but thought if I stayed with the 6# I wouldn't have to worry about snapping the internal belt as quick and not get into detonation etc. with my stock hyper pistoned shortblock. I want the car to run strong, but I am not looking for 500 RWHP. Would the 6# unit work well with my combo and what net boost are you seeing with a 6# powerdyne unit and heads, cam etc. Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
might kind of depend on the blower. more the engine can flow, the less boost you will probably see with the 6# pulley. but with my setup; the filter/maf in the engine compartment, i was seeing a full 6# with 70maf, 65tb, gt40upper/lower, gt40irons, stock cam, shorties, h-pipe, 2chamber flows. put the filter/maf down in the very bottom of the fenderwell, was seeing 8# to almost 9# @ wot. ancient bd10, tensioned down really good.

6# will work fine. but you'll get tired of it quick, get the 9#. or get the novi1000, or vortech a-trim, no threat of belt breakage.

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
For more boost, you could always add a larger crank pulley. I use the 7" crank pulley from ASP. On my old BD-11A, I ran the 6lb pulley, larger crank pulley, power pipe, and with the mods in my sig, saw 9psi at wot. Your heads will flow quite a bit more than my heads though and you may or may not see the same amount of boost.

·
Registered
851 Posts
You will see less boost. I have a similar combo. I also used to have a 6 psi PD on a stock cobra and saw around 5 psi too. With the new motor, saw significantly less. Now, with the 9 psi pulley, I see around 5 - 5 1/2. Get a custom chip and you will be fine with 91 pump gas.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curt, I noticed in your sig that you have a fluidyne radiator with your powerdyne. Did you have any problems getting it to fit with the blower? I've seen some posts of it hitting the blower pulley or something. Did you have any problems? Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
On my setup i was gettting 4 psi with the 6# pulley and now see 6psi with the 9# pulley. both readings were with the stock crank pulley. I need to get one of those asp pulleys and see what happens next

·
Registered
851 Posts
Aaron,

Yup, I had to cut approximately 3/4 inch off the fan shroud moving the fan closer in. It was not difficult. The Fluidyne is a nice piece and will help with the cooling. What also really helps is to turn the fan on sooner via the computer. I get through 115 degree summers ok.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the combo of afr 165's/ E-303/ with the powerdyne with the 9# pulley, ( probably seeing #6 or so at the gauge) what size injectors should I use. I already have a set of FRPP #30's. Are they too big/too small? If you are running #30's, what ratio disc are you using in your FMU? I've seen posts of some guys using 8-1 and some using 6-1. Which is correct? If you don't think #30's are what I need, let me know. If you are netting approx. #6 boost, do you still need to pull timing out of it? On my old cobra I netted #5 and had no timing retard, but kept my initial at 10 degrees. Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have my initial timing set at 8 btdc.(no boost retard). I honestly dont think the fmu i have is doing anything, only see around 65psi at full boost and base fuel pressure of 50psi. so for this has worked witout a problem.

·
Registered
851 Posts
42's here and NO FMU. Had to get a chip to get it to idle right.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I have 30 lb injectors, (9psi powerdyne) my FMU is calibrated at 6 to 1. Initial timing is at 12 and my BTM is set at about 3/4 of a degree per pound.
car runs rich, tends to bog a little down low but comes on hard just under 3 grand.
feels like there is more to be had.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
B-Ray, What cam and heads are you using? With the 9# powerdyne, what is your net boost at the gauge? Most replies with heads and cam are around #6. Thanks

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts