Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I noticed that 5.0s seem to have a pretty decent size battery. My car has a huge ass one in it. And getting it checked to day if its dead or not.

Either way what size battery does it take. Wil an optima redtop work? I have one in my camaro, loved it. I was always a "battery is a battery" type guy but I used to race the camaro with the drivebelt removed alot and decided to go with a better battery then the advanced autoparts special. Really been impressed with how this battery has worked.

So I might take the one from the camaro and put it in the 5.0 and buy a new redtop ofr the Camaro(it is the daily driver, and I drive alot)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Group 58.

Optimas aren't available in a group 58 size. All the specs I've seen on the available Optima sizes seem to indicate they're taller than a group 58 battery. (I think the group 58 is one of the shortest batteries out there). But I'm sure some on here have gotten Optimas to fit.

I use a Motorcraft group 58.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm using a Yellow-Top Optima Group D75/25. It fits fine and I'm using the included hold-down that came with the battery.

Here's the sizes for comparison:
Group D75/25
Length: 9 5/16"
Width: 6 13/16"
Height: 7 5/8"

Group 58
Length: 10 1/16"
Width: 7 3/16"
Height: 6 15/16"

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Yes you can put an Optima in. Lots of us have had them.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Don't waste your money on a 'Red' top...get the 'yellow' top instead, it'll save you money in the long run. The yellow top being deep cycle can be discharged MANY times w/o any ill effect....the red top cannot. Just like a regular battery the red top will be junk after you discharge it a couple of times. You may as well just get a regular Interstate battery if you're getting the red top (they make Optimas).

I've had both and the yellow top is a no brainer, I will never waste my money on a red top again. And don't let people tell you that the yellow top is not a good 'starting' battery :bs: No difference in starting between either one. hth

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've had both and the yellow top is a no brainer, I will never waste my money on a red top again. And don't let people tell you that the yellow top is not a good 'starting' battery :bs: No difference in starting between either one. hth
X2

I've had two Optima's. A Red-Top that I bought 6/00 that was dead in three months and a Yellow-Top I bought 9/00 that is in my daily driver now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great thread, I was just thinking about this. Locally there are only red tops. I'm looking for the best price online for the racing (not heavy duty) yellow top. Has anyone found a good deal lately?

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Bump, this was the best thread I searched as I was looking for the right Optima to put in. I was going to go with the D75-25 but the one I got is only like 1/8th of an inch taller and is better so I went with that.

I just put in an Optima 34/78 Yellow top. I had to cut the back lip of the battery tray off but with a $10 autozone hold down it works fine and the hood closes. It also has 100 more CCA than the D75-25.

In the pic I hadn't installed the autzone hold down yet but it did fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Screw an Optima... I had a Red Top and it barely lasted 3.5 years. 'Paid $125 for it; what a total waste of money. They're sealed so you can't add water (gel in their case) to them. Unserviceable...

Get a joe blow brand wet cell type, and keep a trickle charger on it during extended storage. That's the key; keeping it charged to repel the sulfate.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Yeah mang. I paid half the price of an Optima for my latest juicer. I got mine from one of those battery shacks. It looks like a mini airplane hanger. :D The dude was way cool, and upfront about keeping the battery in top condition. He even threw in a hydrometer for free.

Note the custom battery holder complements of Home Depot. ;) You won't find me droping my gas tank to remove a stupid battery. I shimmed it in there with some random cuts of wood I had laying around. :hammer:

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Well whatever, all I know is the optima provided enough starting power where a 580CCA regular battery wouldn't crank.

And the point of dropping the tank is to attach the bolts to hold down the battery and box, not exactly sure what you'd attach it to securely if you didn't do it that way.

Finally, yeah the Red Tops are no better than a regular battery, they are NOT deep cycle. The yellows are and can be discharged and brought right back up with no ill effects. I'm happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Well whatever, all I know is the optima provided enough starting power where a 580CCA regular battery wouldn't crank.

And the point of dropping the tank is to attach the bolts to hold down the battery and box, not exactly sure what you'd attach it to securely if you didn't do it that way.

Finally, yeah the Red Tops are no better than a regular battery, they are NOT deep cycle. The yellows are and can be discharged and brought right back up with no ill effects. I'm happy with my purchase.

I wasn't calling you out! :) I was just venting my frustration over a crappy purchased based on hype. ;) Lesson learned.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
I wasn't calling you out! :) I was just venting my frustration over a crappy purchased based on hype. ;) Lesson learned.
Lol its all good. I was just saying that my new motor being pretty tight combined with close to 11:1 compression and a high torque mini starter drawing more power the stock battery just was NOT cutting it. The 580CCA Napa battery would just crank like once and then die and not come back up.

I threw the 750CCA yellow top in there and the ***ker cranked right over and fired right up. Even if it does only last 3 or 4 years I'd be ok with it I think. I know alot of posters on here report red tops dying on them but most of the feedback I got on the yellows was great.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts