Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 170 heads, BBK shorty headers and installing a Holley Systemax intake. What would be the best intake and header gaskets to use? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard of people using Ultra Copper on headers, but have never tried it before.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I’ve used the felpro 1250s3 and 1262s3 and never had an issue. I have yet to find an exhaust gasket that hasn’t leaked, I even had the flange on my headers decked so they can be straight and I still had a very small leak. I might have to give the ultra copper a try.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Ultra copper for the win on exhaust
O-ring is the way to go! we used RTV for years, and we will never go back. next time i have the heads off my personal motor im going to have them O ring'd also

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a tube of the copper rtv, I gotta try it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Definitely use the steel core intake gaskets...this is a failure I had on a Holley SysteMax with standard gasket, resulting in obvious vacuum issues within the crankcase. Gaskets failed in multiple places...on both sides.
Intake Gasket Failure.jpg

I'd also suggest either the MLS or copper exhaust gaskets, and I've also had good experiences with a steel core graphite type gasket. You will likely have to heat cycle and retorque these styles of gaskets (especially the copper), but they won't blow out.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I have Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 170 heads, BBK shorty headers and installing a Holley Systemax intake. What would be the best intake and header gaskets to use? Thanks for your time.
From my years at BBK-

Most any gasket will seal well if installed/maintained properly.

At least 95% of the header gasket failures you hear about are caused by loose header bolts.

Very often I hear people say "xxxxx header gaskets are the best. I had the ones that came with my BBK headers on my car and they leaked, but then I bought xxxxx's and I haven't had any issues since then. That proves that xxxxx's are the best."

Here’s why this happens-

At some time in their life, the person making this statement has suffered through an exhaust leak to the point where they decided to take action and get a new gasket set, then they went through the time and trouble to remove the header(s), scrape the surfaces clean, and install new gasket(s).

At that point they became painfully aware of how time consuming and frustrating the whole gasket replacement process is, and only then did they make sure that they really paid attention to how tight the header bolts were, and then added them to their periodic under hood visual checks.

Check the oil, check the header bolts.

The 1st set of gaskets always gets ignored until they get cooked and fail, while the 2nd set becomes a point of focus. That's why the 2nd gaskets never fail, but become "the best gaskets ever" in the users’ opinion.

How does the header gasket get cooked?

The bolts that come with BBK headers (like any good header bolt) are more than sufficient as long as they are properly maintained.

If the bolts come loose, the header can separate from the head and then exhaust passes over the gasket surface (instead of through it) and the gasket gets cooked and it breaks.

Some people like to use ARP header studs or Stage 8 locking bolts. Those both add cost and take additional work to install. However, those are good products for those guys who don't look under their hood as much as they should.

BBK has supplied the same gaskets for years and yes, a few years ago I had one cook and break on me.

When I took it apart the bolts were loose which is totally my fault.

The only difference is, I replaced it with another BBK gasket and started paying attention as suggested above.

That replacement gasket is still in use today.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a slightly different take; most manufacturers (especially lower budget manufacturers) cut costs by providing cheaper gaskets and hardware.

I have dealt with gaskets that simply do not hold up due to poor quality. At this point, I upgrade during the install process and save headaches from the start. A good exhaust gasket is reusable, and is worth the investment to me.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Please post how it turns out. I need to do this myself!
RTV holds up really well... like i said we use to run it for years with a lot of exhaust pressure on the turbo car. plenty of big block twin cars with 100+ pounds of drive pressure run RTV without issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ultra copper here as well. I use it on everything from the SB race-car to the BB hauler and sport truck. The proper way to use it is as follows. Make sure both surfaces are clean and smooth. Red scotchbrite pad and brake cleaner work good. Apply an even layer to the header. Assemble with all the bolts and FINGER TIGHTEN ONLY. Allow to set for 24 hrs give or take. Then torque to spec. I've been doing this for 20 plus years and have had ZERO issues. This includes repeated heat cycles while heavy towing as well as the race car and weekend cruiser. Just my experience.

·
Registered
231 Posts
For headers,on my 95 fit is tight. I don't see how to get Ultra Copper rtv in place without making a huge mess. If you can,yes it will seal great. The o-ring idea sounds good too. But for me, I prefer RemFlex gaskets. You have to torque the bolts, go back and torque them again and again until you get them fully compressed but then it's SEALED.
For the intake, FelPro has never let me down.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Highly reviewed, I'm going to give these a shot.

66014 Percy's Seal-4-Good Header Gaskets

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
850 Posts
For headers,on my 95 fit is tight. I don't see how to get Ultra Copper rtv in place without making a huge mess. If you can,yes it will seal great. The o-ring idea sounds good too. But for me, I prefer RemFlex gaskets. You have to torque the bolts, go back and torque them again and again until you get them fully compressed but then it's SEALED.
For the intake, FelPro has never let me down.
Reasons like this are why I like the mls header gaskets. They really don’t compress much so they’re no need to retighten. Doesn’t hurt to check, but I’ve really never had them turn much on the re-torque.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts