Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the first time i went to the track i had a 14.1 @99.x
this time the best i did was a 14.8 @ 93.x
my 60' isnt the best they were both around 2.2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Post your timeslip, if you don't have a camera or scanner or sumthin', just write the times in

R/T - even though it really doesn't matter
60'e.t
330'e.t
1/8e.t
1/8mph
1320 e.t
1320 mph

What rpms are you shifting @ in each gear? Tires/Rims? What is the altitude @ which you race?

If you have a dyno sheet, share the writeout with us, or the graph.

It could be the altitude, lack of driving knowledge, or your car could be down on power <---We'll hope this is not the case.

How many miles are on it? Is it a coupe? Original owner?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,172 Posts
i agree with 4vmenace, we need more info. How many miels are on the car? Maybe it's time for a tuneup (namely plugs and fuel filter)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4VMENACE said:
Post your timeslip, if you don't have a camera or scanner or sumthin', just write the times in

R/T - even though it really doesn't matter
60'e.t
330'e.t
1/8e.t
1/8mph
1320 e.t
1320 mph

What rpms are you shifting @ in each gear? Tires/Rims? What is the altitude @ which you race?

If you have a dyno sheet, share the writeout with us, or the graph.

It could be the altitude, lack of driving knowledge, or your car could be down on power <---We'll hope this is not the case.

How many miles are on it? Is it a coupe? Original owner?
the car has 84k the plugs are only a couple of months old, fuel filter is almost a year old, 255 Kumhos @24psi and i don't know the alttude it's going to be lower it's close to lake Michigan
as for shifting my first time it was at 7100 rpm's last night i was shifting 6800 rpm's

i'm thinking lack of power :( i ran a fox with some decant mods i had him off the line and he got me on the end and he missed 4th
i pulled a 14.3 @97 and he had 13.6 @ 98

this is from the first time at the track i didn't keep the ones from last night
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
With that kind of milage on your car maybe your IMRC's are to gummed up and they're not openning and restricting airflow to the engine, hence you're not making the power you should be. Just something to think about if you run out of ideas as to what the problem might be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
I'd say it could be the IMRC's. I honestly don't think that any of these outside factors (i.e. Altitude, shifting points, etc.) are going to cause that kind of drop off. I would think that with a drop off of .7 and around 6 mph that something with the actual car might be wrong. You might also want to do a compression test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cobranator said:
With that kind of milage on your car maybe your IMRC's are to gummed up and they're not openning and restricting airflow to the engine, hence you're not making the power you should be. Just something to think about if you run out of ideas as to what the problem might be.
you'll have to enlighten me on the IMRC's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
It seems that you're either down on power, or your driving is inconsistent. How was the pass this last time to the track? Did it feel like a clean pass, hit all your shifts good, did they seem slower than the 14.1 pass, etc??? The more you can go and practice the better your times will be, and the more consistent they'll be.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
madmike said:
It seems that you're either down on power, or your driving is inconsistent. How was the pass this last time to the track? Did it feel like a clean pass, hit all your shifts good, did they seem slower than the 14.1 pass, etc??? The more you can go and practice the better your times will be, and the more consistent they'll be.

Mike
it could be inconsistency and it could of been the track i was not the only person who's times were off. i race the same guy in the fox and his best time that saw was 14.3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
97_cobra_1997 said:
you'll have to enlighten me on the IMRC's
IMRC..........Intake Manifold Runner Control they open up the secondary port to the heads at 3250 rpm to let more air in, below that rpm they remain closed. They have a tendency to get real dirty and gum up and then they don't function properly. If you do a search on them here on the Corral you'll find vast amonunt of info on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
Well, on your 14.8 run you had a 2.4 60' time...that's horrible...are you just revving the engine up at the starting line and dumping the clutch? If so, you'll never get decent times on street tires...you have to feather the clutch out when you launch...get that 60' time down to around 2.0 and you'll drop at least .8 off your time...

Get some sticky tires on there and some 4.30 rear end gears and you're times will greatly improve...

Weather could have a big effect on things too....what it hot and humid? You should still be trapping around 100mph with the stock gearing...


P.S. The color of your car is Rio Red, unless it's been painted differently...:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,190 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but are you granny shifting the car or are you banging the gears? It's amazing what a difference that alone will make.

Aside from that, those really aren't horrible times given the 60-fts you're pulling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cobranator said:
IMRC..........Intake Manifold Runner Control they open up the secondary port to the heads at 3250 rpm to let more air in, below that rpm they remain closed. They have a tendency to get real dirty and gum up and then they don't function properly. If you do a search on them here on the Corral you'll find vast amonunt of info on them.

ok i did a serch on the IMRC, and i have a couple more question.

does anyone have a how to for cleaning them.

how hard is it to do, i have rebuilt one engine in my life , just about all the work i have done on engines have been on older ones and minor things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
search for them again, there is 2 giant threads on them, or jsut scroll down the forum, its an active thread.


Search for IMRC tech day....

I dont know how mechanically inclined you are, but if you didnt know about the IMRC, youmight not want to try doing it yourself :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
93CobraPwr said:
search for them again, there is 2 giant threads on them, or jsut scroll down the forum, its an active thread.


Search for IMRC tech day....

I dont know how mechanically inclined you are, but if you didnt know about the IMRC, youmight not want to try doing it yourself :)
it's not so much of the mechanics as never doing it befor or playing with this motor makes me a little scared.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
Well , its not that bad, you have a couple friends to help you hold things while bolting...

i did it this weekend and it took about 3.5 hours including running to get another 3 cans of carb cleaner..

MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE ON MY CAR! Its soo much smoother, makes power much farther now. i dont know how much power it picked up, but this is definately one of the best mods i have done!

Go for it! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Looking @ your times, there is no doubt, its not just your driving aside from the 60'. Here is what you need to do.

1. Figure out the problem, then fix it.
2. You need to put a lot of effort into improving your launch.
3. Get a dyno, not a tune, just a dyno, so you can figure out where to shift.
4. If it is the IMRC's, don't clean them, make your own deletes, or purchase some, not only will this give you back your old power, but it will give you another 5peak horsepower and extend the hp curve upward as well.
5. Get the car back into tune. Get the whole deal w/quality aftermarket parts, good spark/air/fuel is important, and a tune would really clean things up, and ensure that your 84k motor will last a little longer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i took it a part to clean the imrc and found out that one of the cables broke and i have a new one on the way.

as for a tune up i just replaced my plugs (NGK's), new spark plug wires (taylor 10.5mm) and screamin deamon coils, and i have a k&n fuel injection performance kit, and i'm going to replace my fuel filter. what else needs to be done?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top