Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
for what? What are your mods and future plans. The Holley is expensive and supports auto tune for fuel (VE), Pro-M is the cost of a new born and supposedly requires no tuning... PimpXS supports auto tune for VE and is the least expensive stand alone. Quarterhorse and a stock computer is the cheapest option, doesnt have auto tune but if you use TunerPro it has histograms that tell you what changes to make to the maf curve and a few other tables. Anything requiring tuning is going to require time and patience while you learn how to tune.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
for what? What are your mods and future plans. The Holley is expensive and supports auto tune for fuel (VE), Pro-M is the cost of a new born and supposedly requires no tuning... PimpXS supports auto tune for VE and is the least expensive stand alone. Quarterhorse and a stock computer is the cheapest option, does have auto tune but if you use TunerPro it has histograms that tell you what changes to make to the maf curve and a few other tables. Anything requiring tuning is going to require time and patience while you learn how to tune.
1996 bronco. Currently a 351w. AFR 185 heads. Edelbrock victor efi manifold. Headers. Custom cam from Ed. 217/223 110 lsa. Zf5 manual swap.

Eventually I’ll be upgrading to a 408 or 427 from ford strokers.
The whole issue is there aren’t any tuners in Kansas City I trust but one. They will only do it if I upgrade to a different ecu system. I’ve had a few botched times from other “good” places on my bronco and gto. They recommended Holley and it was recommended by a friend who works at Hennessy. I trust their opinion but I was just making sure there wasnt something better. Didn’t know pro m had a system.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Man, another one of these threads. I have a pimpxs, and I really love it for a street car. Done a few of them and they all run great. Shannon and Wes run their own forum and dish out whatever help people need, and are very sharp. I’m somewhat biased since I really like tuner studios software, I think it’s pretty intuitive - especially for things you actually need to do to get a street car running. You can also get way into it and do all kinds of interesting things.

Holley has a massive amount of people that use it, and pretty much any tuner can support it. It’s a great option, and most people who can follow instructions and do a little reading on setup are successful. There are almost limitless things you can do.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have a Holley terminator x installed on my 1995 GT. Personally the tuned stock computer ran better and got much better gas mileage with the exact same combo. Both made the same amount of power on the dyno.

The good thing about the Holley is having all new wiring and limitless tuning if you need it.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,243 Posts
probably the realistic answer is who is going to tune the car?

If you’re doing the tuning and willing to learn the system then you can make any of them work.

If you are using a shop to do your tuning then you need to use the system they know or recommend.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
for what? What are your mods and future plans. The Holley is expensive and supports auto tune for fuel (VE), Pro-M is the cost of a new born and supposedly requires no tuning... PimpXS supports auto tune for VE and is the least expensive stand alone. Quarterhorse and a stock computer is the cheapest option, doesnt have auto tune but if you use TunerPro it has histograms that tell you what changes to make to the maf curve and a few other tables. Anything requiring tuning is going to require time and patience while you learn how to tune.
My cam doesn’t really require the Holley. I’m just sick of bad tuners and I know ow the better shops can use this as a tool to get things dialed in. Goal is major torque monster that drives like stock of that makes sense.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Call house of boost and ask them their fav system. Go with that.

·
Registered
'87 20th Anniversary Cougar7.0 427W
5,426 Posts
With a pro-m setup, apparently you can drive the car on the street. With the Holley you can only tweak indefinitely, but can't actually drive the car on the street. I know this cuz of the 10's of thousands of people who own Holley and never drive it to work like I did this past Friday. Flawlessly mind you, it drives so much better than I could accomplish with the stock ECU even though I had 10 years of tuning experience on the stock ECU when I put in the higher revving 427 with big cam. Idles perfect at 800 RPM using a 300 degree duration cam and the Ford IAC, which I also hear is impossible reading the internet. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I’m in an area with limited cell service right now. If you don’t mind me asking what is the benefit of running the pro m?
A big benefit if running a pro-m is you get to litter Holley threads with bogus information.

·
Registered
1995 Mustang GT - Road Course/AutoX
87 Posts
I have the Holley Sniper, which is about the lowest you can go without getting into some real junk...oh, sorry, FiTech, didn't see you there. There are some known issues with it. RFI (mostly solved by good grounds, good plug wires, proper plugs, good wiring management, etc). Injector plugs (solved with $.05 worth of zip ties). Coolant temp reading 15-20* too high (solved with a quality AC Delco sensor). Stuff like that.

I have 0 complaints about Holley in general as a result of my experience. I don’t street drive my car too much these days, but when I do, it fires up easily and runs well enough. Street manners are good. Temperature doesn’t affect it. Cold starts could be a bit better year round, but I haven’t messed with it. It’ll “chug” a little till it’s warmed up (plugs loading up a bit). I just take it easy when it’s cold, then run it in good when it’s warm. Eventually I will mess with that, I just can’t bring myself to mess with the tune during the season. I looked down recently and noticed that my fuel pressure was higher than it should’ve been (not the Sniper’s fault, it’s an Aeromotive regulator). I never noticed. The Holley corrected for it perfectly. I haven’t bothered to fix it yet, again, car’s running great (and there’s always the chance the gauge is acting up).

I am considering upgrading to the Terminator or better. It wouldn’t hurt to pick up some more power (Sniper is only 800CFM, which is probably on the small side for a larger-bore 427 inch engine with ported heads and intake, big valves, good exhaust, etc. 1000 CFM might pick up a little). I also want a little more even fuel distribution with MPFI. Or at least I think I do, I haven’t had issues with that, just something that sounds better. The ability to datalog fuel pressure and oil pressure, etc, would be nice as well, especially since I’m upgrading to used slicks next year. It’s hard to glance down at the oil pressure gauge in the middle of a hard corner to make sure I’m not having oil pick up issues, but that’s pretty critical information to have (and engines are more expensive than EFI systems).

The EFI systems above the Terminator are even more flexible. Nice thing about them is that you get into the ability to run traction control, waaaay more flexible I/O, and coil on plug ignition, if those are things you care about. I’ve never felt like traction control was that big a deal, but will admit that trying to put down 525whp or whatever my engine puts to the wheels is dang difficult in a parking lot (autocross). Things are also…interesting if I get caught in the rain on the 255 all-season street tires. Like I mentioned before, the I/O is handy when you’re really running the car hard.

All a matter of what you can afford and what your situation warrants. I am a big fan of “buy once, cry once” so that you don’t end up like me, wanting to upgrade your system a couple years later. The Sniper was originally on a second hand 351w, and my college budget was tighter when I got it, so it made sense. But now I have a professionally built engine and want to treat it as such.

Just my experience, musings, and opinions, YMMV.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
A big benefit if running a pro-m is you get to litter Holley threads with bogus information.
Best reply i have read in the last month. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: fasterthangas

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I need some input from guys. I'm leaning towards the Pro M but the under the advice from multiple tuners and a tuner friend, they recommend the Holley Terminator.

How would speed density from the holley play with the multiple changing altitudes. I live literally at sea level but will be taking the truck up into the mountains. Wouldn't speed density potentially need some adjustments that MAF would do automatically?

·
Registered
259 Posts
So I need some input from guys. I'm leaning towards the Pro M but the under the advice from multiple tuners and a tuner friend, they recommend the Holley Terminator.

How would speed density from the holley play with the multiple changing altitudes. I live literally at sea level but will be taking the truck up into the mountains. Wouldn't speed density potentially need some adjustments that MAF would do automatically?
Makes no difference, speed density will compensate via AFR , manifold pressure etc. All ecu’s use the same basic principles (AFR, MAP, IAT etc). MAF adds additional input via an estimate of volumetric air flow or as ProM refers to load. ProM major emphasis is based on volumetric air flow, MAP is manifold pressure. Both rely on lambda aka O2 sensors for real-time adjustment.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts