Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew it would happen someday... 96 Cobra with old (5 years or more) Cobra "R" fiberglass hood (The one from Ford). The fiberglass that the latch grabs was getting ragged... from shutting the hood, each time it wore it down a little more.

Fortunately, I got lucky and when it popped open at around 70mph, the safety latch caught it so it didn't fly up. I drove slow to the next time and duct taped the hood down to my Pony emblem and drove home (55 mph this time).

EDIT: The fiberglass that the latch grabbed basically ripped/shredded off.

Anyway, I have the hood pins already, I've just never put them on because it looks sort of ... odd... like "I'm so fast I need racing hood pins" or something.

I'll be putting them on this weekend, whether I like them or not. For now, I'm just planning on using some cheapy ones with the pins that I bought from an auto store, the locking ones from JC Whitney that other people on this board use look really nice but they say they are for locking, not for holding the hood down.

Someone I was talking to recommended ones off of an older Mach 1 Mustang, supposedly they twisted on or something and looked nice, anyone know anything about those?

Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had the locking ones on an old Firebird once. They were a major pain to install, but they do hold well. I don't think the pins look that bad, though.

David

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I had my hood come up on me at the drag stip...was going 100mph through the traps...took out my cowl, roof, hood, all bad....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts