Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my motor is back where it belongs. :D

Dropped the motor back in today, finally. Im pulling a few things back off to paint, but at least the motor and tranny are back in. I would have a few more pictures, but my camera died after taking this one. Ill probably get some more tomorrow

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Headers look sharp! How did you remove the AC? I'm stuck there on my project please PM me or email me. If you could give me some details on removing the accessory brackets, I'd appreciate it as well.

Thanks, looks great!!
-Dale

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LAST302 said:
Those headers look nice on there.

Sorry I didn't reply to your PM. To mount the fuse distribution box, you need to fab. a little bracket and just mount it partially in the fender.
No problem. I just need to see how you routed the wires and if you had to extend anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FastGT94 said:
Headers look sharp! How did you remove the AC? I'm stuck there on my project please PM me or email me. If you could give me some details on removing the accessory brackets, I'd appreciate it as well.
I just removed all the AC lines, compressor and everything that goes along with it. Most of it comes off real easy. There is only one wire that connects to the compressor and one that goes to the receiver/dryer on the passenger side firewall.

As for the brackets, I removed the power steering so I was able to take off the whole bracket on that side. I had to switch to a Fox water pump and timing cover because that bracket has an idler pulley which changes the direction that the water pump spins. I still have the alternator bracket, just not in the picture. To remove them there are 3 bolts on the brackets that connect them to the heads.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Does the alternator bracket have two smaller bolts and one large headed bolt? I'm trying to get the really large headed bolt off and it ain't budging and I don't want to snap another bolt off lol I think I'll wait till its warmer.

To remove the power steering pulley, it is reverse threaded or standard? I know I'll need a puller. What about the lines, were those difficult to remove?

Did you purge the AC system first or did you take it out all attached to itself or did you go about things another way? I'm working on a H/C/I swap and I need to get the condenser out of the way, I heard you can just move it out of the way but I'm worried about bending lines and what not.

Any tricky spots that you ran into during your rebuild? I have two water pump bolts (at the extreme left and right) that are being tricky. Do any of the bolts go into the water jacket of the heads?

Thanks and sorry for all the q's!!
-Dale

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FastGT94 said:
Does the alternator bracket have two smaller bolts and one large headed bolt?
Yep, thats it. One of them is partially behind the tensioner pulley.

To remove the power steering pulley, it is reverse threaded or standard? I know I'll need a puller. What about the lines, were those difficult to remove?
I never took off my PS pulley, I just took it off as one unit. The lines were pretty easy to pull out as well.

Did you purge the AC system first or did you take it out all attached to itself or did you go about things another way? I'm working on a H/C/I swap and I need to get the condenser out of the way, I heard you can just move it out of the way but I'm worried about bending lines and what not.
My AC had a leak so it was empty when I took it off. When I did my first cam swap I had functional AC and I was able to move the condenser out of the way with no problems.

Any tricky spots that you ran into during your rebuild? I have two water pump bolts (at the extreme left and right) that are being tricky. Do any of the bolts go into the water jacket of the heads?
Nothing major I guess, what do you mean the bolts are being tricky?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
They're just not breaking loose as nice as all the others did. I'm worried that they may be slightly rusted. I'm just paranoid from snapping that intake bolt. I'd like to be able to sell the heads once I'm done...

How did you get at the bolts that hold the PS pump on w/o removing the pulley? Did you grind some of the pulley away? How many bolts hold the Smog pump on? I only see one...

One more, did you switch to a fox TB setup or did you modify the fox VC's?

Thanks again!
-Dale

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FastGT94 said:
They're just not breaking loose as nice as all the others did. I'm worried that they may be slightly rusted. I'm just paranoid from snapping that intake bolt. I'd like to be able to sell the heads once I'm done...
If they are stock heads, good luck selling them. I havent been able to give mine away :D

How did you get at the bolts that hold the PS pump on w/o removing the pulley? Did you grind some of the pulley away? How many bolts hold the Smog pump on? I only see one...
For the PS bolts, I think there was only one bolt that I had trouble with. If I remember right I removed all the other bolts and loosened the hard bolt, but instead of letting the lead of the bolt run into the pulley, I pulled the pump ******ds so that the head of the bolt stayed flush with the bracket. As for the smog pump, I took that off a long time ago so I dont remember how many bolts there were. Im sure there was more than one though.

One more, did you switch to a fox TB setup or did you modify the fox VC's?
When I first put the Fox valve covers on, I just bent the oil filler tube to clear the intake elbow and removed the oil baffle. I have since switched to the Fox throttle body setup, so I dont have that issue anymore.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Cool, thanks

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i see you switched to the fox style waterpump, and timing chain cover.. Or so it looks.

I noticed on my build up, how much longer the snout is on the Fox waterpump vs the SN95 pump.. I suppose the balancer or crank pulley gets a spacer, to space the accessory belt out?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
poostang said:
i see you switched to the fox style waterpump, and timing chain cover.. Or so it looks.

I noticed on my build up, how much longer the snout is on the Fox waterpump vs the SN95 pump.. I suppose the balancer or crank pulley gets a spacer, to space the accessory belt out?
Yeah its Fox stuff, but I havent gotten that far yet. I have a friend that ran this setup so Ill be bothering him with questions like that. Ill let you know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts