Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over in Modular Tech, but have gotten no response. Since it's probably similar information for all the years, maybe someone here knows the answer.

I'm trying to find the thickness of the metal of the floor pan, and if possible the thickness of the metal of the subframes. We're going to weld some MM full-length subframe connectors on my 99 Cobra tomorrow, and we're concerned about burning through the floor pan on any welds there. On my brother's '90 LX, whoever welded them on did just exactly that in a few spots.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Well I'll guess with you. I'll say it is about 16 gage. Some places are doubled up so thicker, but still would be fairly easy to burn through. The sub frames that I've put in didn't attach to the floor pan, but rather the "frame" if you want to call it that. I never had any problem burning through. My biggest problem is welding on anything that is too far from horizontal. I end up with bubble gum. I've got a new welder now and it works much better, so next time we'll see!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Welding

Man , I can tell you that it's kinda a PITA to weld to the floorpan. Only advice i can tell you is to get the meteal as clean as posible with a grinder. Theres a coating on it that if not taken off will cause the weld to spit and sputter, And if your not real carefull it's real easy to burn through. im not a pro at welding by any means , but by starting the bead on the subframe then "washing" the bead over on the thinner metal quickly, and then back to the heavier metal helped and was actually able to keep the holes down to pinhole size if any. I was also told if you can put a thick piece of steel on the other side of the floorpan at the spot to be welded that it would soak up some heat and keep from poping holes??

Good luck

PS: Im sure you know this but, be sure to pull your carpet out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Welding

M1fast87 said:
PS: Im sure you know this but, be sure to pull your carpet out.
No, actually I didn't! I guess I didn't really think about it getting that hot (it's only welding, right, it should only get to a thousand degrees or so ... :eek:)

Maybe I'm wrong to think that we'll be welding to the floorpan at all. I could have sworn I read something in the MM documentation about putting some short welds along there. I don't have the documentation with me, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
33 Posts
it wouldn't hurt to pull the carpet back, but you shouldn't really need to since your not welding to the floor, just to the subframe.
Just make sure you wrap a wet rag around the gas line!

·
Registered
9 Posts
using stick welder or wire feed. Gauge type rod, amp setting? Gauge wire in feeder, and setting on the control is?

Thanks, been thinking about doing the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts