Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This wasn't going anywhere in the large GT/SOHC forum, and I know there are some welders in RR/AX

I need to get a new auto-darkening helmet for TIG on steel and aluminum from 30-150A. Currently our shop uses a Hornell SpeedGlas helmet which I enjoy using.

I wanted to keep this on the cheap as much as quality allows though- Hobart and Hornell helmets seem to be the big names in auto-darkening, but do I really need one of their helmets or are there other cheaper brands with adjustable shade settings that I would be happy with?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a Jackson helmet and it's the best investment I ever made. I don't remember what I paid but it was less then comparable brands at the time I bought it. I has adjustment for darkness and sensitivity as well as on and off. It also shuts off by itself if left on and not used for a while.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Why would you take a chance on "no name" self darkening helmets when a regular helmet with a #10 or #11 shade works fine, and is very inexpensive?

The self darkening helmets are handy, but not the only way to go.

PJ

·
Registered
84 Posts
bear in mind that i use a conventional helmet, but when welding on the chassis, laying under the car, i find that i need 3 hands. an auto darkening helmet would allow me to do it with only 2. at some point the "auto" technology is/will be developed enough that it can be made inexpensively. in fact, it would be interesting to know if the name brand helmets are made in Korea or some similar place.

with all that said, i'm not quite ready to trust my retinas to a 69.95 auto darkening helmet! :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I've used both, and when you can see where your torch and your filler are before you start the arc, the beginning of your welds come out much, much better. This applies double when tacking together sharp edges of thin metal. (TIG is great fun though guys)

Not hearing horror stories of cheap helmets is comforting. I'll probably end up finding an off brand on eBay with appropriate specs and giving it a try. If bad comes to worse that Hornell helmet is still hiding in our shop somewhere.

Please keep the opinions coming though!

·
Registered
187 Posts
As a MIG welder on the job welding automotive sheetmetal and structure for xx* years, my welds are the same regardless of the helmet. It's just practice. It does take me a little time to adjust to a different welder though.

Regarding bargain helmets, I would think about possible long term effects..

If you're welding on the job, or often, go for the best you can.

The horror stories could take 10 years to show up.

Image of me welding with approved gear: J/K

http://community.webshots.com/photo/61101658/61101926qBOzme

PJ * I've forgotten

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, that website makes me drool... and they have a store 30mins away! How did I not know about this before...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I use a Huntsman auto-dark lense. I think it was 200.ish four years ago. adjustments for shade and delay, and a very large lense, and a nice goof proof replacement policy.
I'm with PJ951 on this dont go for cheap stay with a brand thats been in the buisness for a long time.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I adhere to the don't-go-cheap policy on the racing helmets and safety gear, but I think I'm going to follow Darius's lead on the welding mask. My eyes start to hurt if I weld too long using proper settings with the expensive helmet I've used, I'm sure I'll get a headache before I do too much damage to myself with an off-brand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts