Ford Mustang Forums banner

weld in subframe ?

518 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  SnakeEyes95 
#1 ·
I'm going to get some kenny brown super subs installed and they will be MIG welded. Do I need to pull up the carpet? I called kenny Brown and they said with they TIG weld they don't do it. I've seen other post where people say you don't have to pull up the carpet but the did not say if it was TIG or MIG welding... Any help?

Thanks
Bruce

#2 ·
One question, why weld in?

I know I've run into situations where I'm glad mine are bolt-in and I had to remove them and had the ability to.

Just a thought.

Mine are tabs welded onto the subframe and then the subframes bolt-on to the tabs.

-J

#3 ·
It's best to at least pull up the door plates and use something to hold the carpet up off the drivers/passengers floor board. I used a plastic cup and had a make-shift tent going on... Good thing i did, it got a little hot when i welded my subs in myself.

#4 ·
why have you had to remove your subframes? The reason for welding is that they will become more "one" with the frame. bolts can be a good fastener but over time they can loosen and provide a possible way for water to come in. The guy who is doing it for me would have it no other way... and he had a lot of experience. I'm also doing the kenny brown jacking rails .. these have to be welded...

#5 ·
I understand certain pieces could be welded without obstructing anything. I just meant overall, guess you'd have to see under my car, the whole thing is braced up. And what do you mean by water? I said that there are tabs welded onto the subframe and then the subframes bolt to those.

-J

#6 ·
An experienced welder in either TIG or MIG should understand that carpet is on the other side and know whether they can control the temperatures and make the best recommendations. When I had my connectors MIG welded in not to long ago they stopped every once and while and sprayed down everything with water bottle to keep the temps down and to keep things from catching fire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.