Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I was idling waiting to get in the car wash, all of a sudden I hear this loud whining noice coming from my car. I had no idea what it was so I revved the engine a little bit to see if the whining increased with engine rpm's, and it got louded when the rpm's went up. So I turned off my car, and then started it up again and the sound was gone. That was this morning, and then just now when I was coming home I was at a red light and all of a sudden the same sound appeared again. I turned off my car, and then started it back up and the sound was gone.

I'm completely puzzled as to what this could be, but it scares me. It seems to come from the back of the engine or maybe the tranny...I couldnt really tell because I only heard the sound from inside the car.

Any ideas? Need help

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like it could be a "throw-out bearing"...Does the noise go away when you push in the clutch?.....

Its so hard to diagnose a noise on the internet!!

Try opening your hood while the engine is idling and see if you can pin-point it more/better...

Check the belt and the accessories too....It might be one of those..

Good luck.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Could be a bad idler pulley, the bearings usually go bad. It happened to me once, the pulley was like $35.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the same idler pulley noise too once. If you change it get one from a F150 truck. Much better.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My idler pulley sounded like it was screaming before it went. It sounded like the belt was going around a pulley that wasn't moving (which is exactly what it was doing). I was pulling into my apartment when it just unloaded. The pulley went towards the engine and locked itself in good and tight. I was so hot that when I put on Mechanix gloves to touch it 30 minutes later it burnt my fingers through them! Pulley cost me $14 at the local parts store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts