Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil for the first time yesterday and I found this light tan colored stuff on the inside of my oil cap. It smelled like oil, but it was my oil cap. It was a little thick, and not running anywhere. I tried to shake it out, of the cap and it didn't come off. So, I figured just in case it was something that was supposed to be there. It is a 2002 GT with 28,xxx miles on it. Thanks in advance, I am sort of worried bout this.
David

·
Registered
390 Posts
i think its just condesation in the oil, happens on alot of MOPARS and jeeps. A bottle of engine oil cleaner should help, u put it in, run the engine for a few minutes, change the oil and it gets dissolved and comes out with the old oil. You could do a motor flush as well i guess... dont be worried it wont make your engine go boom or nething, and if your still worried bring it to a dealer to look at ur under warranty

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hope that its just condensation as it could also be a cracked head letting coolant into your oil...

·
Registered
852 Posts
it is condensation. We have very rapid changing weather by my house a while back and the same thing happened to me. First and only time though. Dont worry about it. Just make sure it is not consistant.

·
Registered
580 Posts
97MGT, it needs to be checked out... Just because yours was condensation, does not mean that his is. Is it possible... Yes, but thats how people on this site get in trouble all the damn time is people like you stating things as fact that may or may not be so...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The oil that drained looked fine. No signs of coolant, not too dark at all. Smelled like used oil, didn't smell any coolant. But don't know if I could smell coolant over used oil. If I do take it to the dealer, will they be able to tell or care that I am using Mobil 1 5w-30 instead of 5w-20? I bought it used and got the extended warranty til 75,000 miles. So, if something is f'd up it's on them, unless they say I voided the warranty by using the wrong oil. So far two said condensation, and two said it could be bad. I don't really have time to take it to the dealership, but can find time if I need to. But like I said the drained oil looked fine, just like any used oil, and it was right at 6 quarts drained I think. Spilled some trying to pour it into a 5 quart container. Thanks for the info and let me know if I should really just go to the dealer, and if they'll give me crap for not using the recommended oil.
David

·
Registered
390 Posts
They wont know the different oil. And if you want take it to the dealershi[ and show them, NUmmsy is right that it COULD be something bad and not just what everyone is saying, but after working in an instant oil change place over the winter im pretty sure its just condesation.

correct me if im wrong guys but would smoke come out of his exhuast if his head gasket was messed up? im not sure but thought this was the case?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Smoke is not always a sign of a head gasket problem. It does happen but not always. If its under warranty I'd take it in just to be sure. Its free insurance...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at my oil cap this morning before I left for work and all of that stuff on my oil cap was gone. Should I still try and take it to the dealership?
David

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Little hint for next time anyone sees this...

Taste it. I know some of you are saying "what?? no f'ing way!", but really, taste it. If it tastes like honey, you've got problems. If not, it's just condensation.

;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Nummys4.6 said:
97MGT, it needs to be checked out... Just because yours was condensation, does not mean that his is. Is it possible... Yes, but thats how people on this site get in trouble all the damn time is people like you stating things as fact that may or may not be so...
Thats why I said to just keep checking and make sure it is not consistant.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another update, when I said it was gone, I was wrong. There was a tiny bit left on there, and when I checked just now after I got home from work that tiny bit was still there. So, I took Steed's advice and tasted it, it definately wasn't sweet, a little bitter but not much. And since I had never actually purposely tasted oil before I went to what oil I had left over and tasted it, and it had the same taste, only raw. :) And since I wasn't sure exactly what kind of taste antifreeze had either, I figured while I was at it I should try that too. Definately a sweet taste, and I couldn't taste a hint of sweetness in the tan "condensated" oil. So, now my fears are eased, and if my taste buds failed me and it is something else, I still have another 47k+ miles for it to happen under warranty, and I pray it doesn't. Thanks again everybody. I will keep checking it to see if it completely goes away.
David

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Mmmmmm....what's for dinner? :lol:

Glad to hear all is okay;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts