Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a weird occurance today and wondered if anyone can explain whats happening!

The Ford dealer installed a new motor in my car a few weeks ago and the car has been running hot all the time since. It runs up to 210 and then the fan holds it there whether I'm in traffic or at highway speeds. I had installed a 180 thermostat and Stewart pump on the engine before and it was okay. The dealer swapped these onto the new engine so it should be the same.

Anyway today it has been rainy and damp so I switched the front demister on and the engine temp fairly quickly went down to 180. A week ago I thought that maybe the heater circuit had air in it so I ran the engine with the heater on and topped up the radiator but no difference. If I run the heater on demist or mix the engine runs at 180, if the heater is on floor or off then the engine runs at 210. I can not hear the radiator fan running in any of these situations.

Does anyone have any idea why there would be a difference between floor and mix?

Richard.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One thing I forgot, when the heater is set to mix or demist the engine will die from idle. It will run okay for a while and then the revs will drop and the engine dies.

Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Answer: Pudmann Ford

They are the best in St. Louis and will fix other dealers screws ups like they did for me.
Check them out, they are the best...

·
Registered
795 Posts
Anytime you have the a/c on or the defroster on the elec fan kicks on automatically and runs the entire time.. otherwise with the a/c off or on vent etc the fan will not kick on until around 210 -220 degrees... (high but that is how the computer strategy is on those cars) If it is not coming on at all then it could be the temp sensor for the fan is not hooked up or is bad and not ever telling the ccrm to turn the fan on

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tony,

If the heater control is switched to mix or defrost the cooling fan comes on as you said but if the heater is switched to floor it doesn't, I wonder why!

Anyway got any idea why the engine dies when the heater is switched to mix or defrost. I have a manual switch wired into the fan also and the engine doesn't die if I switch it on.

Richard.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Your welcome,

I had the same problem on a couple of mine and i put a new iac motor (idle air control or some people call it a isc motor idle speed control ) on both of them and it fixed them.. It sounds like when your a/c compressor kicks on the computer is not able to raise the idle speed to compensate for it.. The iac motor i am talking about bolts to the throttle body and the computer uses it to control the idle speed.. Make sure you have the tps adjustated correctly (and no computer codes stored) and you could even try bumping your base idle speed up just a tad..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts