Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 218k mile 2004 Mustang V6 auto. She runs great, but I have noticed lately that when driving at low to moderate speeds, epspecially when I hit uneven pavement, or bumps, the steering feels very 'unstable'. Kinda like if the camber was way out, but it doesn't really look like it is off. It doesn't pull or vibrate, no clunking or weird noises coming from the front. It just feels very unstable. Any ideas what could cause this?

Something else, the power steering doesn't seem to be giving as much assist as it should. It seems kinds stiff when having to turn the wheen alot when not moving. Is it possible for a steering pump to become weak over time?

Thanks Everyone!

· Registered
247 Posts
First thing inspect your ball joints very well, because those don't always give a lot of warning before they go and when they do, it's an instant bad day and the best case scenario is you need a tow and a fender. That's the best case scenario.

Also everyone else reading this: inspect your ball joints if you aren't sure about them, and consider replacing them as preventative maintenance if they're original.

· Registered
10,374 Posts
In addition. Inspect the rear bushings as well. ANy play in those bushings would cause the axle angle to change relative to the direction of the car, which causes rear steer. This can feel really weird if you are not used to it.

At your mileage, everything should be checked over really.

Reactions: Bentley

· Registered
3,886 Posts
Had the same car. While it was mostly problem free, it did need ball joints and lower control arm bushings at the time of sale-and the buyer was fine with it. They put new LCA's complete with BJ's on it, also did struts. Said car drives amazing; given that it has 401,000 miles on it when they bought it from me. Ball joints are not always "bad" when you just jack the car up and let the LCA dangle; you really should put the jack under the LCA and compress the spring a little and then wiggle the top and bottom of the tire, checking for looseness. Also sometimes they'll "seize" at which time there won't be any looseness but they're just tight; and normally the car will experience "memory steer" where when you turn the wheel in a curve, you have to manually turn the wheel back rather than it returning to center on it's own like it's supposed to.

yes inspect the BJ's well, as well as the LCA bushings, struts, and strut mounts. All are wear items. Wheel hub/bearings too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts