Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you take a look at the picture attached you'll see wear at the threaded portion of the cup that holds the spring in place. This is occuring at the left rear shock only, obviously there is movement going on. I have a feeling that my ride height and maybe the spring rate has something to do with this. The rear setup is maximum motorsports with a 175 lb coil spring. Anyone like to take a guess as to why this wear is occurring?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
If you take a look at the picture attached you'll see wear at the threaded portion of the cup that holds the spring in place. This is occuring at the left rear shock only, obviously there is movement going on. I have a feeling that my ride height and maybe the spring rate has something to do with this. The rear setup is maximum motorsports with a 175 lb coil spring. Anyone like to take a guess as to why this wear is occurring?
My front coilovers are doing the same. The 14" springs bow when the suspension compresses. It doesn't look like you have much preload on the spring. How tall are the springs? Can you grab the spring and move it with full weight on it?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My front coilovers are doing the same. The 14" springs bow when the suspension compresses. It doesn't look like you have much preload on the spring. How tall are the springs? Can you grab the spring and move it with full weight on it?
I'm not sure on the height of the spring. I'd have to remove and measure. One of the first things I checked was for any movement/spinning on the spring with the car resting on the tires and there wasn't any. I noticed that too on the pre load and the more I try to lower the rear suspension the less pre load there is.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I'm not sure on the height of the spring. I'd have to remove and measure. One of the first things I checked was for any movement/spinning on the spring with the car resting on the tires and there wasn't any. I noticed that too on the pre load and the more I try to lower the rear suspension the less pre load there is.
It sounds like you need a softer spring to allow more preload. Your situation can affect available shock travel also. I'm betting a 10-150 rear spring would be better.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like you need a softer spring to allow more preload. Your situation can affect available shock travel also. I'm betting a 10-150 rear spring would be better.

I already run a 175 spring and at high rates of speeds the car gets pretty unstable. I was actually thinking of going up in spring rate to keep the wheels planted to the ground and look into maybe a slightly taller spring.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I already run a 175 spring and at high rates of speeds the car gets pretty unstable. I was actually thinking of going up in spring rate to keep the wheels planted to the ground and look into maybe a slightly taller spring.
I thought you are trying to lower the car?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, you are correct. I was thinking with a taller spring I could get the pre load I need and still make height adjustments at the collar of the spring mount. Either way I'll have to buy a stiffer spring maybe just bump up to a 250 lb spring. For what I want to do to the car I need a firmer ride I think. I'll call maximum motorsports directly and see what they say. While I'm talking to them I'll have to order another sleeve and threaded collar to replace the damaged one.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
IIRC, MM had this problem with their earlier CO kits when lighter rate longer springs were used which caused the spring to bow slightly and rub the adjuster threads. I had the same problem. The solution was run a shorter, higher rate spring or buy MM's special "barrel" shaped spring if lower rates were needed. I'm using a 225# Hyper at 9" I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.