Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drag racing is fun, but I should have all my suspension done by then and I'd like to do a little cone cruising. :joy: Just a thought.

C

·
0 Posts
Before CD02, I proposed a different location for CD03, like Memphis Motorsports Speedway or something of the sort. One that would allow the best of both worlds, 1/4 miling and roadracing/autocross, timesharing the same track. It was too late in the game to make it happen for CD02, but they said they would intertain it for CD03.

Guess not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The local F-body guys have setup Auto-X in both the circle track and the pit area. I could get contact info for the guy who set their courses if anybody wants to try to set it up.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The local F-body guys have setup Auto-X in both the circle track and the pit area. I could get contact info for the guy who set their courses if anybody wants to try to set it up.
Yeah, I was at the kentucky Fbody meet and saw they had some set up in the circle track. It looked really cool, but I didn't have my car with me to try it. I don't see what would be so hard about setting something like that up. All you would need are some orange cones and a layout, right?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Freakboy4.6 said:
Yeah, I was at the kentucky Fbody meet and saw they had some set up in the circle track. It looked really cool, but I didn't have my car with me to try it. I don't see what would be so hard about setting something like that up. All you would need are some orange cones and a layout, right?
...and a timing system, and a tech inspection, and a way to keep track of times, and insurance, and so on. Not too difficult to set *something* up even if it's just using stopwatches, but running a safe event means staffing it with people who are used to doing it and that might be the biggest challenge.

·
Founder of corral.net
1,555 Posts
I would be VERY interested in doing this. I have wanted to do it for years. Perhaps this is the year! It would require that we quarantine a very LARGE portion of the parking lot off though. I'm thinking probably about 2/3 of the pits would have to go towards the course to provide enough safety barrier for spectators/traffic.

There is plenty of parking in the grass, however, and there is more shade there too. The area closest to the tech shed would most likely be the best place as there would be room for the timing equipment, necessary power outlets, etc. The other nice thing about doing an Auto X would be that we could run all day as we could staff it ourselves.

It will require some major setup time though.

Lemme know if anyone has a local source for cones and timing equipment.

·
Premium Member
16,060 Posts
Christopher Ihara said:
It will require some major setup time though.

Lemme know if anyone has a local source for cones and timing equipment.
I'd disagree on the 'major' setup time. You could prepare a 40 sec course (short, but would allow most elements of autox) w/in an hour.

MFE and I will get the word out to the KY SCCA or other area autox clubs. They would probably have the equipment available, as it's a holiday weekend. We'll be in touch.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I can set my car up for double duty for CD03 so I am in.

I would be interested in helping out if needed. I have road race expierence, but not auto x.

I wouldn't even care if we fell short on the timing equipment, stop watches work just as good. Just having the course and in a good safe location would be great!!!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Hey Doug, hope you can hook up w/ us Indy guys again this year. I started another thread, before I realized this one existed and just to let you guys know I've been in contact w/ the Central Kentucky SCCA in an attempt to get us some equipment. If you like check out the other thread. Again, sorry I didn't see this one the first time. Also, if anyone talks to Chris or Bob ask them to contact me as ultimately they'll need to talk to the SCCA people.
Here's the other thread, just in case.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=248199

·
Registered
399 Posts
sounds interesting, ive raced the dirt oval a few times.. but there isnt such a thing as autocross around here. Id like to try it, perhaps if I make it there ;)

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Autocrossing? hummmmmm....I've never done that. Sounds like the perfect way to make a fool of myself. I'm in:)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
:lol: That's what I'm saying.

Never done it, but I'm up for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts