Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 Fox Mustang. I need to replace the water pump, but I was wondering if I could go with an SN95 if I also used an SN95 pulley. I want to do this because the Fox style has a longer shaft and uses the pulley to offset the belt toward the engine. It does this because the fan clutch mounts to the front. I have an electric fan now, so the long shaft only costs me clearance between the fan and the water pump shaft. If I could use an SN95 water pump, I could probably gain about 3/4-1" of clearance. Thanks if you have any knowledge on this.

Billy

·
Registered
238 Posts
Everything is different for an sn95. They have a different timing cover and waterpump. The only way you could do it is to get the cover and pump and accessory mounting brackets from a donor car.You would also need the crank pulley.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well unless I'm mistaken the water pumps are the same except for the shaft length. If the mounting face to the belt is the same distance, then it should work, I'd just need to get the parts on a bench and measure them.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The water pumps are totally DIFFERENT. The mount on the 94-95 timing cover looks a little like a boomerang outline and the pump is really small compared to a fox waterpump.

This might give an idea of the lengths. On 94-95 cars the crank pulley bolts directly up to the balancer without any kind of snout on the back of the pulley like the fox cars have(to space them out). The rear guide lip on the SN95 pulley is flush against the balancer.

You will need a timing cover, waterpump and both sn95 brackets.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ugh what a pain! I know there is a Ford water pump that looks just like a fox pump but with a shorter shaft. I know because I was accidentally given it at a parts store and the guy later said it was for a sn95 mustang. I guess he was wrong. It sounds like this will be more trouble than it's worth. Thanks anyway.

Billy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts