Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just trying to help rebuild the lost knowledged for the KB blowers, and the W/A injection is one of the most signifigant IMHO, and would like to see it restored. If you have knowledged on this setup on the KB cars, please post it.
What benefits have you seen with the setup? What boost levels do you need to start thinking of adding it? What are the benefits/cons to the setup?
Did you have a measurable increase in power, and/or performance after the addition of the W/A injection?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
No it isn't. Unlike Ft. Meyer's Florida, here in Ohio I have been reluctant to go freeze my a$$ off to finish it only to not be able to drive the car because of snow and ice. It just needs to be wired. I have the new tranny in, but a lot of little odds and ends need to be done before it can run.

·
Registered
37 Posts
yellow95 said:
That is the same kit that Don and I put together for less than $150.

Gary
What did you use for the methenol pump? This kit is super easy to build, just need to know what your using for a pump.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There was a 93 Cobra here in Denver using this set up that dynoed 652rwhp. He said he picked up like a 100rwhp using it. What do you think your gains have been?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I use an SMC kit (http://www.smcenterprises.com/Injector.htm) which IMO is the best bang-for-the-buck complete kit available. Gary has a very nice DIY setup if you want to save some money.

I've used water and/or alcohol injection for 2 years. It does work very well. I've run as much as 16 psi using 93-94 octane pump gas. It is best to run straight water with a 1M to 3M spray nozzle at a pressure of 60-100 psi. It doesn't take much water to cool the discharge air. Use of ANY amount of alcohol will drop your AFR like a rock and it doesn't cool nearly as effectively as water. Also, if you tune the car using alcohol then you're risking a very dangerous lean condition should the pump fail or something happen to interrupt the spray.

Temperature reductions depend on the level of boost but drops of 100+ degrees are not uncommon. In fact it is possible to reduce temps to below ambient which is better than an air-air or water-air intercooler. Also, the cooling effect is there almost immediately and at any speed, unlike with an air-air intercooler that needs air flow to be anywhere near its peak efficiency. One last benefit of water injection is that it will keep the combustion chambers free of carbon deposits. It literally steam cleans them.

So now you have my two years of experience condensed down to one post.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That is great info guys. Thanks alot MJ! I appreciate the education. I will take all this and apply it to my set up. Now what kind of water are you guys using? Someone said they used a 50/50 combo of distilled and tap water. What's the best? Probably distilled? :D Now some of you guys I see are using the KB blower. I'm using a Vortech but it makes no difference. So MJ, what kind of gains in HP have you seen and how have your ET's changed?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've used tap water which IMO isn't the best thing to do. I recently checked the nozzle and it had quite a bit of scale built up on the screen. I would recommend using mainly distilled water or a mixture of distilled and tap water like Don stated.

Actually I think water injection works better on a centrifigal blown car because of the way boost builds with rpm. You will be moving more cfm when the spray initiates because the rpm's are higher. I can be spraying from 2,000 rpm to redline. I don't have any ET's to quote yet. I did run 16 psi using a JMS chip that was burned for 8 psi which would be an aggresive tune for that much boost.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Michael- Dont laugh, but i still have not found a sleeve long enough to put the nozzle in the discharge manifold. That darn screen gets in the way. If you come accross another one, i will give you $1,000,000 for it. OK, probably not that much, but i will happily pay you for it.

Gary

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Don- That filter holds a sprinkloaded spiral jet in the nozzle. If you remove it, the spray comes out in a little pee stream.

Gary

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good stuff guys, thanks. I really like the SMC kit and that's probably what I'm going to run. I like the safety features.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts