Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all do i need to get the best output for nitrous. What other mods do I need on a stock car with exhaust. So far here is what i got. Zex nitrous kit with the management unit, all the hoses and brackets and the arming switch, NGK spark plugs, that is it.

What else do i need to successfully run 75 shot, and is it possible to run 125 to 150 shot of nitrous on the 98 motor with about 60000 miles on it. So what all do I need to do. Such as fuel upgrade and injectors. Looking for some advise I am about to hook this up just need a little more insurance with people that have the similar setup as I have.

once again this motor is bone stock with a K&N and exhaust.
Thanks alot.

·
Registered
628 Posts
[QUOTE So far here is what i got. Zex nitrous kit with the management unit, all the hoses and brackets and the arming switch, NGK spark plugs, that is it.QUOTE]

For safety precautions you should also get MSD Window Switch, 255lph Walbro fuel intank pump, and the neccesary guages, ie fuel pressure guage, nitrous guage. I also have a Zex kit waiting to be installed. Good Luck

·
Administrator
1,712 Posts
I would also have some kind of low pressure switch for fuel pressure. This will shut off the nitrous if fuel pressure drops below optimal. Whatever you can do to remove human intervention from the activation and deactivation of Nitrous will make the kit safer.

I have to say though, that I have yet to see a supercharger blow an intake manifold up ...

and virtually break through an engine hood....

I have seen MANY destroyed intakes from Nitrous mistakes. This particular instance did a number on the pistons and rods...

and managed to crack the block behind the sleeve...

Not to say that a supercharger wouldn't also cause this kind of severe failure, but I haven't seen one blow up a manifold or try to knock the engine hood off.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies

Well reading information from the zex kit that little box is supposed to automatically shut off the nitrous when the fuel pressure drops, that is why they claim to have the safest kit on the market. Is that box really good and whoever has this particular kit or has done research on this kit is this what Chris is talking about.

As for Chris you're scaring me :eek: but thanks for looking out I think I will ask around on how to drive it also I am pretty sure if the driver of that car was using it wisely that wouldnt have happened. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Oh one more question are there any urban legends that state that the summer (Texas) heat can cause a nitrous tank to explode if left in the trunk???:confused:

·
Administrator
1,712 Posts
As for my pics above, this was caused by the guy doing a burnout on Nitrous. He then staged and bogged at the line. Then BOOOOM!!! User error. He should never have done a burnout on the bottle.

He should also have had some kind of fail safe for the system in case he bogged the car.

As for explosions, I doubt that the Texas heat along would cause that problem, but an unontrolled bottle heater will. Like these poor saps found out...

Remember, with Nitrous NEVER CUT CORNERS!!! You're basically carrying around a 15# bomb in the back of your trunk. When everything works properly, Nitrous is NO problem. But if something like a pressure release plug doesn't work, or if a solenoid sticks, or anything else like that then it can be bad news.

You may also have to check with your local jurisdiction with regards to the legality of transporting Nitrous. Your specific state may have laws regarding the transport of an oxidizer (like Nitrous) in pressurized form. There are most likely certain weight requirements involved with how much you can carry around with you. In all likelihood a 15# bottle will fall well below those restrictions.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ttt

somebody tell me what to do, if you are running a zex kit on your mustang let me know if you are happy or not and what should i watch out for.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have a Zex kit and love it.

It does not have a fuel pressure cutoff though. If you want one, which is highly recommended NOS makes one.

The good thing about the Zex unit is it basis fuel pressure on bottle pressure. So the higher the B the more fuel you'll get.

Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.