Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m looking into buying a set of these and want to hear from you guys who have these and what you think about them. Were they worth the $$ and could you notice the difference after they were put on and what about durability? I want a set of aluminum heads that accept the pedestal rockers and these seem to be the most readily available. Thanks for you comments. Dave. :joy:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the 6037's, they are great heads. It's what Ford should have put on from the factory. They don't have a huge port volume which keeps the low rpm flow up but they flow very well on the top end too. With the 1.90 intake valve you don't have to worry as much about piston to valve clearance. If you want the highest quality head for the least amount of money, this is what you want. If you are willing to drop 300-400 more you can get the AFR 165's which seem to be about as good as it gets from what I've read about them. I went a best of 107mph with all off the shelf parts and other guys on this board have gone as fast as 115mph, all unported I think and no power adder. I got them because they flow excellent with a small port volume and in the world of aluminum heads they are cheap.

Beau

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stangnut....how long have you had the heads on your car and will high heat affect these as bad as I`ve heard?

·
Registered
98 Posts
There are better heads but for the money they are excellent. My best is in the sig and that is all box stock stuff. You can always have them ported down the road If want more out of the them I belive someone on hear I think it was 92lxturbo or something like that had some port work done and they flowed better then the out of the box AFR 185's up to .600 lift.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well, this is Florida and currently it is actually a bit frigid at 83 or so today. I've been out with the car in 96* heat this year, no AC either, and the temp only got a little over the second bar on the stock gauge. This is with a stock replacement 2 core radiator, however, usualy it runs halfway between the first and second bars on the gauge. They have only been on the car for about 2000 miles or so, but so far I have no complaints. The car drives with stocklike manners but pulls all the way to redline faster than the stock conglomeration of parts could ever dream. And it's fun to spin 4th gear:)

Beau

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I have had these 6037's on my 95 Cobra first then swapped them to my 88LX. They are untouched except for a little doctoring I did in the valve guide area and valve bowls to remove some flashing and roughness. I ran a 12.8 @107 with them on the heavy @$$ Cobra. The 88LX is much lighter and much faster, but I did put the RPM intake on the 88LX which helped a lot over the Cobra intake.

I like the fact that everything was a direct bolt-on and no extra parts were needed. The helicoiled bolt holes are a nice touch since you wont have to worry about pulling the threads out of any of the bolt holes. For what they cost and how they run they are a great bang for the buck improvement for a mostly street and ocassional strip car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies.....

I`m gonna get them.....now where can I get them for the least amount of $$$..? Dave.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't know where they can be had for the least amount of money, I bought mine from Summitt though. I vaguely remember seeing them for right under a thousand, but don't quote me.

Beau

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have no complaints with mine so far... got mine through Summit and had them pricematch. Thumb through MM&FF, find the cheapest price, and have Summit pricematch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts