Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
I popped the CD player out of the wrecked 94 yesterday thinking I could just plug it in the 95 that didn't have one. I assumed that the harness would be there from Ford. I didn't think they would use a separate harness just for cars that have no CD. Anyway, the plugs were not behind the blockoff. Anyone know how hard it is to get that part of the wiring harness out of the 94? Is it just plugged in somewhere farther upline? Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
the mach 460 harness you need to pirate from the other car runs along the inside of the dash on the metal frame. it is grounded to it along the way too. it runs into the driver kick panel where there are two plugs to disconnect which go to the rear speaker setup. there are also two or three plugs that go into the dash amp you need to remove before taking the harness out. hope that helps you out some.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! I wasn't sure how far I was going to have to follow it to get to a disconnect point. I already have the head unit our of the donor car so hopefully it will be just a matter of tracing it back to the kick panel

Thanks again.
TJ

·
Registered
108 Posts
I second the above comments. I put the factory CD into my car and had to pirate out of a doner car. Took about 1 hour to install. Good luck

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I dug into the wiring harness over the weekend and was able to trace all the wires to the connectors. Most of it was just behing the radio, I just had to strip the binding tape to separate it out. Only had to cut one yellow wire that ran up into the driver's footwell. Still didn't work. Then I noticed that the lead coming out of the pre-amp and runs to the amps behind the back seat was different, it had 8 connections as opposed to the 4 on the stock wire. I stripped the one out of the donor and installed it and sure enough...there was music!!!....bwahhahaha!.. Sounds better than the donor car did, I think one of the amps was blown on it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey guys, I too have questions on the CD install. I've installed the factory CD but the problem is that I need clarification on the connector install. I've located the factory harness in front drivers kick panal as noted above. However, this connector looks to be 2 1/2 " long and the harness from the CD will not fit this connector. What have i missed here? ps. my car if factory equip with mach 460 cassette...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My harness ran all the way from the front pre-amp to the rear amps with no connections between. It just ran under the carpeting. Is this what you are refering to?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The connector I located is in the driver kick panel. When disconnected the "bass" is eliminated....but all speakers remain operational. This harness appears to be from the radio and runs to the kick panel. It is here that it "connects" to the harness that runs to the inside rocker panel {inside a plastic protector}. My car is an early 94 convt {08/93-build date}. I have a digital camera, but how to post a photo here is beyond me.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where does this connect to the radio. Is it the bottom connector where the 3 are inserted in the back? I have no connection in that place...maybe I should, but I dont' remember the donor having one either when I took the radio out. Hope I didn't miss something.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the reply. After re-reading the posts on this subject my harness is exactly as describe by "showstopper" above. In the driver kick panel it disconnects in two places. my problem is that once disconnected the "plug end" from the CD harness is different. My bet is that the harness in the rocker has to be changed out as well.....guess i will have to locate a service manual to address this one. Also, in answer your question, the front amp harness is "tape" to the radio wiring and then proceeds to the driver kick panel. thanks

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, mine must be a different model or something because I don't have any "tape" connections. I did notice that my Mach system was not an original installation because the date on the units is like 9/96 and my car was a 94. This is wierd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts