Ford Mustang Forums banner

want more power!!!

444 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Injuner 
#1 ·
i've got a bone stock 302 c4 in my 65 coupe and i'm looking to get some hp gains.
on a relatively small budget so i was going to look for easy bolt-on items.
can someone point me in the right direction?

am looking into headers(complete exhaust),manifold,etc.

thanks
marc
btw is it worth the effort to look into used perfomance parts?

#2 ·
Well, if the 302 is a 2 barrel than a swap to a 4 barrel will always be a solid first move, otherwise an aftermarket intake manifold is a good starting point. Headers and exhaust is another way to go for some added power. A cam swap is also a good way to improve power, especially if your motor was originally a 2 barrel car. Camshafts are not that expensive and you should not have to change springs (assuming they still have some life left in them) and rockers if you keep the cam upgrade within reason, and the cam swap itself isn't that hard. From what I have seen the some of the stock ford cams (like the one in my 66 C code) can be considered to be the definition of wimpy in Websters.

The quality and value of used performance parts depends on what you are actually looking for. I still am a swap meet type of guy, as you can actually inspect the part before buying (versus EBAY). Things like alumnium intake manifolds can often be found cheaply at swap meets, just remember to inspect the threads of all of the various bolt holes as often times morons overtighten things like the waterneck or the carb studs causing the alumnium threads to strip. I personally don't like swap meet camshafts, but I have known people to use them. Carburators are a classic at swap meets, just be warned to bring your own book with the numbers to double check what you are buying ahead of time.

Personally, I would look at intake, exhaust and an upgraded camshaft before looking into things like heads. You should be able to find a used alumnium intake manifold for under 100 bucks. Headers might be a bit more expensive, and the cam can cost from 40-100 with new lifters.

Jonathan
66 289 2v hardtop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.