Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With increasing frequency I have been having trouble starting the car. It will just crank and crank and not start. The only way I can get it started is to push in the gas pedal. Then just a while ago on my way home for lunch, I was stopped to enter the highway and went to push in the pedal to go, and the car just died. My question is are these the signs that my fuel pump is going or is it something else? I already have a chicane waiting to be installed so it is not an issue of buying one, I am just wondering if that is the problem or if something else is wrong. I have about 10 months of driving on my supercharger kit so maybe it is the pump. Please help. Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like your pump. If you have the Chicane switch it out and check it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Next time it won't start, check to see if your theft light is on. Mine did that and it turned out to be a bad connection on my autologic chip. Just took it off, cleaned it up, and taped it firmly into place.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
It could be your chip, I just got a new autologic chip from Paxton on Monday, Tuesday night the car would not start, theft light was flashing. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes,held the pedal down and it kicked over. Took the chip out today, taped it back in firmly, so far so good. Never had a problem with the old chip, except for the auto-trans shifting like garbage. My second thought was that the Walbro was about to take a dump on me, but I have only had it on for 500 miles. Check your chip, put on the Chicane and you will be good to go. good luck

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
WTF, well in my case it is definitely the chip. I get out of work tonight (did I mention it is under 20 degrees out again) and the car won't start, cranks but won't start. I disconnect the battery, no dice. I pull the computer out and put in the old chip, it kicked right over. The new improved Paxton chip is interfering with PATS (passive anti-theft system) and not allowing the car to start. It seems the new chip does not seat as well as the old chip, maybe that is the problem. So, either my car starts and shifts like garbage, or it shifts OK but does not start. I can't wait to call Paxton tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chip

I know its not the chip because I did not get the theft light and also, I just got a new chip on Tuesday for the bullitt intake and the car just died when I tried to hit the gas. But no starting problems. I really think it is the pump.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wirth2k,
Where did you get your chicane pump? I hope you don't mind me asking, but how much $$ was it? I'm thinking of purchasing one for my car, but I don't have any idea where to buy one. Oh yeah... also, did it come with a new 'bucket' or any other part(s)?

Thanks,
John C.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chicane

I payed $260 from Modular Madness. It was a group purchase that was run through Stangnet.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Re: chip

wirth2k said:
I know its not the chip because I did not get the theft light and also, I just got a new chip on Tuesday for the bullitt intake and the car just died when I tried to hit the gas. But no starting problems. I really think it is the pump.
Well, I wouldn't necessarily ignore the chip or the connection to the EEC.... You say you just got this chip on Tuesday....
Well, did you have any trouble prior to Tuesday? I bet it's either the connection or some problem with the tune on the chip.
I don't think it's your fuel pump..... But since you already have a Chicane pump. Make the swap and find out for sure....
What are you waiting for??

Just DO it!!! :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fuel pump

I have had the problem for about a month now and it is getting progressively worse. I am getting the pump put in Saturday so I will know for sure if it is the pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts