Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock 6 rib crank pulley has about 1” clearance to my Mark viii fan without any hack modding/ moving of the radiator position now... I’m strongly considering a Vortech V-3 si SC but wondering how much further will the Vortech crank pulley protrude into the fan? Must be more than just 2 “ribs”, right? What am I trying to gain in clearance here?

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,261 Posts
I don't think it will clear that fan... that's why nobody uses them and they go with contour fans.
you can run the mark VIII fan and a vortech 8rib setup with an aftermarket k-member.
(maximum motorsports k-member, motor pushed back onto the rear slots, mark VIII fan flipped upside down)

Reactions: q6543

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I ran an 8 rib pulley with stock k member and mark viii fan. You have shorten the shroud a little, push the bottom of the radiator forward a hair. It will fit. I think I notched the shroud a bit where the pulley was also. It has been many years.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think it will clear that fan... that's why nobody uses them and they go with contour fans.
I know the radiator can reposition forward (with grief) but just want to do the math first…love the Mark Viii fan w/ controller and would like to keep it. Can I get a pulley measurement when someone has an opportunity? 🙏

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have a Vortech pulley they can slap a tape measure on…O.D. (If different than stock) and THICKNESS (towards the radiator)…thanks, I don’t have one to measure yet.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
just measure the width of 2 ribs and add into the overall measurement

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
I couldn't make it work with my setup. Not even close. And that was with a Black Magic fan, which I believe has less depth. I found a set of NOS Contour fans on a pallet, picked those up and they clear with my 8 rib setup. I still prob. have an 1/8" clearance max, but that's the only setup I could find to work. Oh, and I also had to go down to a slimmer radiator as well. PITA that all was getting everything to clear.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here’s what I found…4.5” off the face of the balancer.
Font Art Circle Drawing Illustration
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Schematic

Rectangle Line Font Parallel Schematic

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Had to cut but the stock fan and mkviii to clear it. It's not the housing but the fan motor bolts that'll interfere and engine shifting when accelerating.

Ended up going to a mkvii shroud-less fan to move it to the side. then eventually went to a Spal HD 16" no shroud down the center, 0.4" clearance now. Should have went duals.

Reactions: FOXVERT91

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
that problem is fixed when you flip the fan upside down

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
that problem is fixed when you flip the fan upside down
I'll definitely check that out next time I visit it in storage...seems too good to be true when the single fan is centered (vertically) on the shroud?
Pic prior to mount on 2” thick SVE radiator 👇🏼…I can see rotating the shroud 180* so the fan shifts over to the driver side, then deal with the coolant overflow…is that what you’re saying?
Ventilation fan Electric fan Wheel Automotive tire Home appliance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts