Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade a V-1 A-Trim to a V-1 S-Trim. I called Vortech and they'll upgrade it for around $800 (replace impeller, compressor housing, bearings, seals, etc). Is there a cheaper place to get this done or do I have to go to Vortech?

Thanks,
Henry

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
No place but Vortech. The only difference between the 2 superchargers is the impeller. Actually its the same impeller so to speak. They all start out as S trims and the A trims are turned down so they don't make the boost as the S would. Don't know why they even make the A trim to be honest with you.

·
Formerly BLOWN1989SALEEN
5,755 Posts
302man said:
No place but Vortech. The only difference between the 2 superchargers is the impeller. Actually its the same impeller so to speak. They all start out as S trims and the A trims are turned down so they don't make the boost as the S would. Don't know why they even make the A trim to be honest with you.
sorry gotta disagree there 302man, an A-trim(old version)has a straight impellar versus a curved S-trim impellar, the new SC-trim is the one with the same impellar as an S-trim but with the tips machined down for less boost;) And yes vortech is the only coice to do the upgrade

·
Registered
925 Posts
302man said:
You should probably actually look at the two blowers in person before staing these "facts".

Louis-

The A-trim is an old design that Vortech probably still sells well given the low prive of admission. The S impeller is much better than the A, which are entirely different castings. I picked up 1/2 second when I upgraded and didn't change pulleys or anything else.

You get a new back half of the blower with a larger inducer (inlet), new bearings and seals throughout and of course, the impeller. Its worth EVERY penny.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
OK, If I am wrong, I am wrong... no big deal. :) I had talked with Vortech before on the A /S thing and they told me that the impellers were the same, just the A was a detuned S buy turning it down some so it wouldn't build much boost. Guess I was told wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts