Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am alittle out of date,But have herd good things about
the SC-Trims?They have a good price on them as well!!
So,How many rpms can they stand?Are the queit?And how
much power are they really making safely?(Say H/C/I)
I guess if you had to compare the S-Trim to the SC-Trim!!
Would the S blow it out of the water,Or is the SC not that bad?
I have read some specs. on them,but really would like to know
from you guys that have them!Thanks..:)

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
The SC was initially engineered 4 the 96-98 Cobra....Since it is a rpm engine the impeller was cut down so that it would not build the boost as fast as an "S" and poss cause detonation & who knows what else their thoughts were.... it has 2 b spun faster 2 make comparable boost as the"S"(slippage)but w/still flow as much air as the "S". Then they(could have been their thought all along and just used it 4 the cobra) came up w/the idea 2 replace the "A" trim w/the "SC"..They r a nice piece , but still not an"S".As u prob already know it is a 6 rib & all the stuff that came w/the "A"... @4500 I see appx 9#'s of boost w/a 2.95 pulley......I have an S,SC & T & happy w/all of them...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so overall it is a good head unit?Can you spin it as hard as a
S-Trim? I guess just put a 8 rib on it,and it could do very well!!
Thats interesting,it can flow the same as a S.?
Thats cool!!Thanks man.
Anyone else beating there SC-Trim hard?

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Yes..The max efficiency is 50k on the sc vs 45 on the "S" & max rpm(impeller speed) is 53k vs 50k...So can safely b spun faster & keep warranty if thats important to anyone,,but not me...

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I have an SC Trim. With an 8-rib setup I've seen as high as 18 psi. The SC Trim is just as good as a blower as the S Trim. As stated above you just have to spin it a little faster.

The only time you're going to run into belt slip problems, while spinning the compressor faster, is if you buy the head unit new and keep the 6-rib setup.

With an ASP 7" crank pulley and 3" Renegade pulley I was seeing ~ 11 psi constantly at 6k RPM's. I installed a 2.85" pulley and at 6,500 RPM's I was at 18 psi.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can't beat that for the price!Thanks you guys. I do have
a 8' crank laying around??Keep the stock blower pulley.
I would need a 8rib bad though!

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
If you're worried about keeping the factory warrantee you'll be fine running the SC Trim with it's stock 6-rib 3.33" pulley and 8-rib 8" crank pulley. Generally you leave the first two ribs open; I've seen one or two people that had to center the belt on the crank pulley.

I wish I would have pieced my kit together rather than buying it. The only things I'm still using from the kit is the head unit and brackets.

First I ditched the FMU and bought a set of 42# injectors -- I'm doing all the tuning via TwEECer and Lambdaboy wideband o2. Second I ditched the crappy inlet, and replaced it with a 4" powerpipe. Third I got rid of the plastic discharge tube and bought a aluminum tube from Vortech... at that time I set it up to run a Bosch bypass. Next I got rid of the 6-rib pulleys and bought 8-rib stuff: ASP 7" crank & underdrive assy, 3" Vortech Renegade compressor pulley, the correct idler/tensioner pulley and finally the retaining bolt/washer combo.

With all of that said I'd highly suggest to anyone looking for more than 5 to 8 psi to piece a kit together! In the long run you know you'll get what you want. I've seen people put complete kits together with what I've listed above for under $1,500 (minus the TwEECer and Wideband Meter). After it's all said and done I have twice as much as I should in this kit. But you live and learn. I've been very happy with the performace gains the SC Trim gave my car. With 4.10's and 28" tires the car was an absolute BEAST on the street; the track is a different story -- I kept nailing my rev limiter and ran out of gear with my MSD set to cut spark at 6k :(

·
Registered
669 Posts
Weaseled said:
I have an SC Trim. With an 8-rib setup I've seen as high as 18 psi. The SC Trim is just as good as a blower as the S Trim. As stated above you just have to spin it a little faster.

The only time you're going to run into belt slip problems, while spinning the compressor faster, is if you buy the head unit new and keep the 6-rib setup.

With an ASP 7" crank pulley and 3" Renegade pulley I was seeing ~ 11 psi constantly at 6k RPM's. I installed a 2.85" pulley and at 6,500 RPM's I was at 18 psi.
With my 7" crank pulley and a 3.12 blower pulley i see 15psi at 6k consistantly on my S-trim with higher flowing heads :)

At 5000 rpms im already at about 10psi.

S-trim owns u Wes :p

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Clemens9 said:
With my 7" crank pulley and a 3.12 blower pulley i see 15psi at 6k consistantly on my S-trim with higher flowing heads :)

At 5000 rpms im already at about 10psi.

S-trim owns u Wes :p
That higher flowing setup has yet to beat my old ancient B303 cam & iron Windsor Jr head setup ;) And don't say I was cheating because of slicks!

At 6,000 RPM's with Mark's pulley combo listed above his S Trim is at it's efficient max RPM. My SC Trim with 7" crank & 3" supercharger pulley still has 3,000 RPM (impeller speed) left before it reaches it's efficient max. Factor that in and you'll have VERY close numbers.

The two superchargers are almost identical. People can, and have, argued which one is better all day long. It generally ends up with people saying the S Trim is better based on the fact it's been around and it has had time to prove itself -- over and over again, nightly at several race tracks.

Not many people have SC Trims. The way I've figured it is you have to have a .15" smaller pulley on the SC Trim to match the S Trim. I just wish I had some dyno numbers to back my my theory, but I exploded my motor before I had a chance to make it to one :(

There are two things the S Trim offers the 5.0L community that the SC Trim does not: HO and SQ. You can get a race prepped S Trim capable of running COG and you can get the S Trim as an SQ for silent operation. They offer the SC Trim as a V2, but it spins the wrong way dammit!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Weaseled said:
Vortech needs to post a S -vs- SC Trim compressor map...
I agree

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
damn,the v2 sc-trim isn't gonna work then!Still love the V1.
So,Is there any impellar diff. between the SC & S-Trim???

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
t-trim 93 said:
damn,the v2 sc-trim isn't gonna work then!Still love the V1.
So,Is there any impellar diff. between the SC & S-Trim???
Yeah, that's the ONLY difference between the S & SC Trim compressors. The S Trim's impeller has more of a pitch on it. That's why boost comes on earlier than the SC Trim -- and that's why the S Trim runs out of steam before the SC Trim.

Clemens9 and his g/f rode in my car when I had it setup for 10 psi with a ceiling of 6k RPM's (via MSD-6AL). After the ride his girlfriend said, "Mark, I think all of your friends are trying to kill me." :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will miss early boost though!But I will spin it hard.
( Mark,I Think all your friends are trying to kill me)LOL!!!!!!
she loved it.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
You compensate for the lag by using a smaller pulley. The 7"/3" combo was great for street driving -- I never seen boost unless I wanted to. The 7"/2.85" combo was crazy. With that small pulley I started seeing boost as low as 2,500 RPM's.

With an 8-rib setup there was no sign of belt slip. When I tension my belt I use a torque wrench set at 90# for street driving, and I set it to 110# when I took it to the track. (Which was only once.) I won't even comment on the 6-rib setup. It just sucked.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Couplequestions from me:

1.How loud is the SC vs. the S-Trim V2? I've heard a ton of V2's but not any V1 or SC trim Vortechs

2. How much power would a 8-9psi SC trim make on a full exhaust & decent intake 5.0 make? (5 speed)

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts