Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed an s-trim, fired up and it doesnt iddle, it keeps reving up and down till it shuts off, i have c&l 80 mm mass air cal to 36lbs injectors, hks bypass, 65mm trottle, 255 intank + t-rex inline, fmu cal to 36lbs injectors, btm, what i havent done is set base timing, put in new spark plugs and conect the btm retarder knob but is hooked to ignition, i just was desesperate to hear that blown sound. also a lot of black smoke coming from tailpipes, will any of the things i havent done cause that iddling problem? i start the car with out the blower pulley and it iddles normal but when is puffing some air it doesnt please help

·
Formerly BLOWN1989SALEEN
5,755 Posts
is this the first time youve started the car with that C&L meter? those meters are known to be a problem, you are are way rich for sure. do you have any friends with a meter that works for sure with 36's? try a swap, i suspect your MAF is to blame. whats your base FP? could be bad plugs(doubt it)the boost retard has nothing to do with this problem at idle. check your MAF

Scott

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I have the same problem with my 76 MM C&L I would not rant on the meter right yet.. I am getting a custom chip put on my car this wed. And I will let you know if its the meter or not. I am going to be though, just like my car is that its loading up and that is why it dies.. I just started my car yesterday BTW :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if its the flow meter to blame, why it does idle fine when i disconect the blower pulley? i havent done anything to it but now it starts and idles fine below 1k rpm, then when i punch the gas a littlebit like to 4k rpm, it then becomes erratic again and shuts down, also after a while of runing good at idle below 1k rpm, it goes erratic an shuts down. I tried plugin the vac line that goes to the fmu but still same. the plugs i have on it right now are gapped to 45 i know its got to be gaped 28 at least, could the spark be blown and getting supper rich? also timing was set long ago to 18 deg spout disconected and then reconected, i didnt experience any knocking so i guess its ok, let me know what could be the demons in my car

·
Registered
884 Posts
Check ALL blue hose connections from meter to throttle body, if you have a vacuum leak you will get the same symptoms

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I second the vacuum leak check.

Alan

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I fixed my problem lastnight, I turned my MAF meter 180 degrees or so, and now it idles like stock :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could a spark plug gaped to 45 be this problem? it seems like it doesnt have enough spark to ignite all that fuel

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fastfed, were was the electronics on meter facing? mine is facing toward the fender actually is touching the fender, ill try moving it around a bit

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
don't really know, but I will guess so it brings it to the top..

I would have to guess that the spark only blows out when WOT!

But it only takes 5 min. to change the gap on the plugs so you might as well start..

Or if its to hard to get to, try changing just one side??

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Christian also make sure your alt. is working perfect, ( Charging the system ) Mine was bad aswell and I forgot to plug a wire into it, and that fixed it up as well..

I assume you would not have a light to check on your car, mine was on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what gets me confused is that whith blower pulley off it iddles fine and with it on, it then goes erratic, my alt is working fine, yes i had alt light on with accessories belt off, then it went off with belt on. ill try rotating the meter to see what happens, a friend told me to use carb cleaner and spray around hoses to see if it had a leak, were are other posibles areas of vac leaks?

·
Registered
672 Posts
check your idle air bypass valve...make sure it's working right...it doesn't have to throw a code to malfunction....did you reset the computer by disconnecting the battery....the car does have to relearn everything.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
So this thing is surging right?? Try rotating the meter first thing...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Which way should the meter be facing?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guess what? i rotated the meter and it iddles now. it has some little surging now and then but at least it keeps runing, i will check tomorrow rotating it a little more. i really dont get it, does the position of meter has to do something with it or maybe it was the meter clamp loose, anyway it worked, thanks

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
LOL I don't know how it works either, but my advice is keep rotating it a little bit at a time ( 10 degrees ) and then start it up, seems like that was your problem..

Aint the corral the best! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts