Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 97 saleen witha auto tranny, and i am thinking about having supercharged.
I am looking for about 300 RWHP.
I like the low end power that is suppose to come from the saleen S/C, but on the otherhand the Vortech is tested all over on all kinds of car combo's.
I was thinking about the Sallen because that would still give it a "stock " look, but I have the feeling that the Vortech is better somehow.
I have never owned a supercharged car so input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Hennie

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey, sorry I can't help 'ya, but I'm looking at the same two superchargers.

I have to say that the Saleen sure would be sweet to have the boost down low. I'm not really into running at the track and I don't race. I just like to have the power to make my car a bit more fun.

For me it will come down to which unit I feel I can get the best deal on as I think they are both very nice choices. So far the lowest price I've found on the Vortech v-2 SQ is $3,025. I am not having too much luck getting a good price on the Saleen.. seems to be around $3,400.

Keep in mind the Saleen is intercooled! Hope someone can provide real-world opinion on the Saleen as I somehow feel it is the best unit for my taste.

If you have found any great prices on the Saleen I would be very grateful if you shared. I would be happy to provide where I found the Vortech V-2 SQ at $3,025 (for '01 model)

Best,
Rich

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
With basically a 97GT, you won't see 300rwhp with the Speedlab blower.

On 99-02's they are seeing about 305rwhp and you are starting with about 190rwhp.

You will need to step up to Centrifi to see those kind of numbers.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would say you could get the 300 rwhp mark with the roots and a smaller pullie. The problem with it is you have almost maxed out the blower for your set up (1996). You could also look at the SVO set up (i know it is not intercooled) but is a cheaper version.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Saleen Blower = Crap for power

Vortech = Grins all over :D

I've never regreted my decision to get a Centrifigal Blower instead of a Roots, but if I was to get a Roots, I would opt for the Kenne Belle screw style blower, much better quality and efficiecy.

Jonathan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
snake eyes, who sells those smaller pullies?
and does anyone know if I can keep my underdrives on the engine or should they be removed as with a centrifugal blower?

Hennie

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was in the same position you guys were about 3 months ago. I was debating on getting a centrifugal blower or the Saleen. I almost sold my GT and bought a Saleen with the ATI P1SC blower because the guy was desparate and was selling cheap ($27,000 with 12K mis and dyno's to prove 495RWHP). I got there to drive the car and when he fired it up the blower was extremely loud at idle. I was not thrilled with and ended up pasing on the offer (sometimes, I wosh I wouldn't have, but I did). I actually opted to go with the Saleen. It may not make as much power, but my car is a daily driver so....

The Saleen package includes a blower, Injectors, Power Flash, .... It is a nice package. You can get a nice pully from www.chicanesport.com (They can get the Saleen blower as we, but I am not sure at what discount, but they are very knowledgeable on blowers). If you are looking for a cheap Saleen blower check out www.haneymotorsport.com. He always offer 10% on the kit plus if you by the guage pod at the same time, he gives a big reduction on the pod. The only thing is, the Saleen package is going to be on back order in most cases.

The Saleen is also self contained, it does not require tapping the oil pan.

On the other hand, I have heard the Vortec is an extrmely powerful blower. Plus do this, change the heads, P&P, add the Bullit intake kit, Cams.... and wallah

You have created huge amounts of HP (far more than with the Saleen Blower). Anyhow, I hope I have helped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts