Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just bought a YS trim kit for a 302, and had to mod my existing 351 bracket so the YS would fit until I do the 351. It was at night, so the pics weren't the best:

Big Pic Here

Big Pic Here

Here is the pic you are really looking for:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thats a 302 bracket, modified for a 351, on a 302. The YS and S trim brackets are the same, except they clearenced the spot with the long blue line. The idea behind moding the bracket for a 351 (Alternative Auto does this) is to put the blower in the exact same spot it was in with the 302, so you wouldn't have belt/hood clearence issues I guess. You can run a 302 bracket on a 351, you just can't use the bottom bolt that normally bolts to the block (btw, R blocks don't have this boss either to use), and it'll be a little higher up and off to the left. Whatever block you use, you'll have to grind on your smog/smog elim pump also. I'm not sure if its really worth the trouble to mod the bracket, unless you are running either 10rib or cogs and can't get the right belt length.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So modding the bracket as you have above doesn't actually move the head unit back down and in where it needs to be? If I am understanding this right, you just made it possible to mount the YS in the S bracket, and added the extra mounting point?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Uhh, no. There are two independent mods to the bracket, one to mate it to a 351, and the other to make the YS fit. The blower will stay in the same spot if I bolt it to a 302 or 351. The red circles and arrow shows where the bracket would bolt to if a 351 was in there.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, now I see where the bracket is modded to move it down into place. Is this something you did, or is this something somone like Alternative did?

Would it be possible for you to measure center to center how far the bolts are moved? I don't mind doing a little aluminum welding, and I really don't feel lake paying $200 for a bracket from Alterative auto.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just outta curiosity ......... if u use the S-trim 302 bracket..... on a 351 will u have hood clearence problems with it since itll sit higher?

·
Registered
660 Posts
MdNtSNiPeR said:
Just outta curiosity ......... if u use the S-trim 302 bracket..... on a 351 will u have hood clearence problems with it since itll sit higher?
with stock mounts a v1 will hit. with drop mounts i think a v1 will have just enough room.

·
Registered
211 Posts
onefststang said:

Would it be possible for you to measure center to center how far the bolts are moved?
I'd do it if I had the head unit off the bracket, but I don't. If you had a 302 and a 351 laying around, you can pretty much figure it out. Next time I have it off, I'll measure it or make a template or something.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm doing an just an S trim install on my '88 351w efi car. Stock motor mounts and a Harwood 2.5 cowl. Maybe some useful info I can share:

1. alum brkt, as said above, bolts to head fine but misses bottom block boss. So the blower with the 5.0 bracket will sit in same relation to valve cover as on 5.0. (closer to hood - due to 351w)

2. steel mounting plate, test fit blower to it and yes S trim hits the hood.

3. What I did so far is redesigned the 1/4" steel mounting plate. The modified drawing drops the blower semicircle and bolt holes only for the blower about 3/4". The rest of the brkt and holes were kept in 5.0 locations.

I had that plate plasma burned to the AutoCad drawing. Next is to test fit, I know the bottom of blower to smog pump boss will hit or be close, so will I have to grind smog pump boss as shown in Vortech's instructions for Renegade appl.

If it works, it will save the $200 for the Alt Auto brkt. I would post some pics but don't see that option ?

I have 3 plates total burned out, we'll let you know if it works out.
Someone tell me how to post pics. Let me know if this info helped.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Update:

Test fit the new steel plate and I can get the blower to just clear the hood - 351w, stock motor mounts, Harwood 2.5 cowl, stock 5.0 alum Vortch brkt and custom steel blower plate detailed above, with smog pmp and alt, etc.

Smog pump boss had to be clearanced a lot, it's very tight. My steel plate worked, I had to fine tune it and will probably make a prettier one now that I know the exact limits of where the head unit can go hood / smog pump-wise.

Saves $200 for now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts