Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I believe my Vortech supercharger is leaking under high boost (6-9lbs). The most oil seems to be found on the supercharger and mounting bracket with some on the inlet tube, alternator and passenger's side front of the engine.

I was wondering if anybody has had the same problem before and how was it fixed? What is the turn around time for vortech to fix the problem and what was the reason they said caused the problem?

I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow to make sure it's the supercharger before I ship it off to California.
-Peter

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look pretty snug... and no oil has dripped down them. But then again my bad at boost under pressure it's a different story. Also I replaced the longer hose (feed?) last week because my belt decided it hated life and took out the hose. Could that the be the culprit? I don't know how... but I guess it's possible.
-Peter

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well I'm at work right now... but I ran outside to take a look (only one here :) )... Anyway where the oil return connects to the blower there seems to be new oil, but then again there is a lot of new oil in the engine bay.

Forensics question now :: Let's say that where the oil return line is hooked into the supercharger is the culprit. Ok if under boost oil sprayed from there onto the belt, where would the oil go. Would it hit the altenator, passenger side top of the engine, inlet tube to throttle body, and top of the hood? Why would the drivers side be dry.... guess it depends which way the belt turns. Is it clockwise or counter-clockwise?
-Peter

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well it would drip down onto the belt then be thrown upward.. cause thats the way the blet is moving from the alternator to the compressor pulley... did this start when you replace the line?? Maybe a little teflon tape can help the cause??? I am still pretty new at the whole superchargin game.. but I do work with piping and fittings all the time for our air supply to our automaitc boiler controls!!! So hunting down air, oil leaks is my specialty. I also imagine being a centrifigal blower (looks exactly like our many centrifigal pumps on the ship) your gonna have some kinda seal on the shaft of the blower where it protrudes the compressor casing... check where the shaft comes out of the casing to the pulley. See if any oil is leakin there. Take in mind its just a guess. Good luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess we shall see tomorrow.
-Peter

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nuxx,

If you ship back to Vortech make sure you get a promised date for your return and hold them too it. Also make sure they have your warranty information before they start repairs.

I sent my s/c back in September 2001. I did not get my return until April 2002 and I had to pay almost $600 for the repair because my warranty papers had been "misplaced" and I had only purchased the thing 1 year prior to the repair. Just be cautious.

·
Registered
509 Posts
VortechCobra97 said:
Maybe a little teflon tape can help the cause???
Only if he really wants to destroy the head unit. Teflon tape is an oil fed units devil, if a piece were to come off the line and get wrapped in the tiny filter in the feed line fitting, it will starve the unit of oil and it will not last long.

just my $0.02

Jonathan

·
Registered
109 Posts
SilverY2KGT said:

Only if he really wants to destroy the head unit. Teflon tape is an oil fed units devil, if a piece were to come off the line and get wrapped in the tiny filter in the feed line fitting, it will starve the unit of oil and it will not last long.

just my $0.02

Jonathan
Then learn how to put it on properly and you won't have that problem.

Sebastian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts