Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1992 mustang the vortech drain 3/8 npt fitting is loose to the point that it will no longer thread. You can pop it in and out on the side of the Canton oil pan. Made the mistake 10 years ago to just punch and tap and not weld while the pan was out. I had this same issue 2 years ago and rigged it with teflon tape on the treads and lots of black silicone around the fitting. I do not want to deal with this again. What do you guys recommend to repair this without pulling the motor out? Wondering is it possible to have someone weld, mig or tig the fitting in place? Has anyone done this? I did a search and did not some up with any answers.

Thank You

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
jb weld is your friend...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JB weld was used the first time and broke over the years.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
10 years isn't bad for a half assed type of install that Vortech has like that, but if you had the pan off since then you should have installed a bulkhead fitting.

I would check with a local welding shop, but I'm not sure with the fitting being brass how well it could be welded to a steel pan.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
If you have the tools just go ahead and pull the motor,remove the pan and fix it right and not half ass it.IMO Vortech's way of tapping the pan is half ass and will eventually leak.Pull the pan off and either weld you on a Nipple to attatch your oil drain hose too or Have a Steel AN -8 or -10 Fitting welded onto the side of the pan.With this setup you will just make yourself a SS Braided drainhose with 2 AN fittings on the end.You will also need a fitting to screw into the drain of your blower.This way is the Best,cleanest way to make your Drain and you can install/remove it within a matter of seconds with a wrench.

DONT even think about trying to weld a nipple or fitting to the pan while its still attatched to your block.
very bad things could happen if you tried this.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think that you can weld the brass fitting in the steel pan without have to pull it down . Just like StarrMan wrote , check with your local weld shop.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'd talk to a good welder. With a little paitence, I believe a fitting could be welded to the pan while still on the car.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I'd talk to a good welder. With a little paitence, I believe a fitting could be welded to the pan while still on the car.

With or without oil in the pan that sounds like it could be a good way to set a fire.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Meh, maybe. Fire needs O2 to burn, and it'll be lacking that from inside the pan. I'm by no means saying jump right it blindfolded and go for it. Any good certified welder could tell you yea or nea on this little project.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have talked to a local shop, and they seem confident that they can mig weld the fitting. Off course the oil will be drained and will need a new fitting. I will be bringing my car to them next week. I know the owner and know the shop to feel comfortable leaving my car with them. I will keep you guys posted!

thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can get the 3/8 npt fitting in steel to weld it in. I weld and could easily weld the fitting in.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can get the 3/8 npt fitting in steel to weld it in. I weld and could easily weld the fitting in.
Welding while the pan is still attached? If so that is good to hear!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Heck yeah...go for it! Ever see someone weld a leak on a medium or high pressure natural gas main???!!! They do some knarly stuff and don't shut them down.

On a side note, you may want to have good insurance paid up to date! Good luck and make sure they unhook the battery.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
you can have the fitting that is in there brazed to the pan but the easier and best solution with the pan on the car would be to have a bung welded to the pan and use a npt fitting installed so you can run a -an style line.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welding while the pan is still attached? If so that is good to hear!

Yes while the pan is still on. I work in a steel mill and weld up piping with Hydraulic fluids leaking, You just have to know what your doing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Use a steel npt fitting, I mig welded mine then put a large flat washer around the fitting and tacked that in 4 places to add a little extra support to the fitting. It looks great and is alot stronger that way. good luck with it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Use a steel npt fitting, I mig welded mine then put a large flat washer around the fitting and tacked that in 4 places to add a little extra support to the fitting. It looks great and is alot stronger that way. good luck with it.
I might try the washer Idea! My appointment will be on wednesday! Were can I find a steel NPT fitting? So far I can not find one locally?

Thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Just placed an order from Mcmaster for a couple of steel 3/8npt fittings. Have an appointment next monday to have this welded.

Thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just left the shop! They can not weld to that fitting. I have it in awkward spot. Passenger side right above the steering rack! Do not know why I installed it there, but regret what I did 10 years ago! Will have to figure out a way to rig it for now. Probably lots of jb weld and silicone! will not have time to pull the motor. I am racing this at the Pinks All out event in mid September and have to break in this clutch and dial in the car. Need to dial in the setup for 10.80's on 17inch drag radials.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts