Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mine is not, so I might be alright.
I went ahead and ordered the cobra pulley for the added clearance. I should know how all this will shake out come Thursday.

These project really nickel and dime us. Haha
Nickel dime?? Reminds me of going to the Harley store... HD really means Hundred dollar.......

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So far I have the cobra water pump pulley, larger power steering pulley, smog delete idler, and as of now an 85.5” belt does not fit.
I am hoping that an 85-7/8 belt will.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The 85-7/8 belt was too tight. I even listened the power steering pump and I still could not get it to slide on the water pump.
I then tried an 86-3/8 belt and it fit without much force and it too big as the tensioner bottoms out.

What are some other options here? Maybe Dayco has an in between size.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The 85-7/8 belt was too tight. I even listened the power steering pump and I still could not get it to slide on the water pump.
I then tried an 86-3/8 belt and it fit without much force and it too big as the tensioner bottoms out.

What are some other options here? Maybe Dayco has an in between size.
If the 86 3/8 was too loose, I would’ve expected the 85 7/8 to be fine. Dayco 5060860 should be right in between those two size.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think dayco 5060855 is the next size up from what I tried with gates. 86-1/8. gates lists their lengths as outside circumference and Dayco lists as both per their catalogs.

oreilly has gates, advanced auto has Dayco.
sucks butt to hunt for the right belt. Hopefully one more try will do it and I can hear this thing whistle.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Follow up, shredded accessory belt after about 40seconds. Looked like belt want to ride the back side of the power steering pulley and one rib was getting ripped off. Not sure which pulley is not aligned just yet.

Anybody run into having to use shims/washers to move things front it back?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'm not understanding the benefit of the bigger power steering pump pulley. I've read about guys suggesting them although I've never needed one and other guys cars I've built and worked on with Vortech and Powerdyne blowers didn't need a bigger power steering pump pulley either. It seems like the bigger pulley is making your set up more difficult to make any size belt fit and now shredded a belt that finally fit. The tensioner looks really high up in the pic you posted. Looking like the belt is too small and too tight on the tensioner. And you are probably going to need a tensioner pulley with shoulders so the belt won't walk. Could try pressing the power steering pump pulley on farther if it's riding the back side shoulder too much.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Pic from about 4 years ago on a friend's car 87 GT convert powerdyne BD-10 stock power steering pump pulley 93 cobra wp pulley tensioner pulley with shoulders and smog delete bracket and pulley. No issues chucking/shredding belts. This car now has a V2.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Is that using an under drive crank pulley?
I have a non-under drive.

As far as the PS pulley, I could not get a belt that moved the tensioner far enough from the cobra WP pulley.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I did have to space my smog delete an extra washer or two to get it even with the Alt. Maybe I didn’t get that right.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I had to space my smog pulley delete bracket with a washer as well I think you're good there. But the picture of the white 87 GT under the hood with the powerdyne that was with the stock type crank pulley and the auxiliary 6 rib blower belt pulley that fits inside the stock crank pulley for the Powerdyne belt.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks. Would you be able to measure the spacing between the PS housing and inner lip of the PS pulley? I am thinking that I need to push it on some more, but not sure.

Maybe use a dial caliper for the measurement

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I am at 0.54”-0.55”.
I need to figure out a way to measure the first rib of all pulleys to make sure they are aligned.

the one rib was coming off the PS while that rib was just missing on the other pulleys. I am guessing that means that my PS pulley is one rib too far out, but not sure.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts