Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design Car

we did a setup like this on a friend’s car. Ended up making a new tensioner bracket to flip it around so I don’t know how accurate the belt length would be for yours.

Looking back at it too, there might not be a smog delete pulley on it.

·
Registered
1995 F150 Lightning
411 Posts
Take a string with no stretch and go around all pulleys, then mark it where is overlaps and measure it. That will get you close. I went ahead and bought 4 different lengths from the local Oreillys part store. 2 up/2 down from the measurement. Once you get the size you can keep it or order what you want in that size. I ended up keeping my the premium Dayco I got but will go with a green Gates later. Returned the rest.

Also, note to remember- the belt will stretch with heat so go as tight as will fit on the set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am fine with that approach.

I was just thinking that my setup was not that rare and somebody would have the length.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I like to take an old ass long belt and cut it, then wrap that around your pulleys and mark it. Then I’ll measure that and come up with a belt length.

I’ve done the string method, and it’ll work but sometimes it’s tough to keep it from stretching while doing it. Just might take another trip to the parts house to get the length.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I can get you the part number off my belt for a starting point for the above post in the morning. Its a Vortech V2 with under drive accessory drive crank pulley smog pump delete pulley and asp 93 cobra wp pulley with power steering relocated a/c delete.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Anybody figure out the accessory belt length on a vortech setup, smog pump delete pulley, no AC, relocated PS?
I just went though this nightmare with my buddy's Fox. We ended up having to re-drill and tap the hole for the smog delete pully to move it up an inch. Then we had to run the large T-bird PS pulley and Cobra small water pump pulley to keep the belt from rubbing on itself between the tensioner and water pump pulley. I'll have to check what size belt we ran. I know we ran one just a tiny bit short because the one we measured out fit at first, but stretched under tension and started to rub.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If you start stacking washers between the alternator stay bracket and the smog delete pulley you can raise the belt tensioner from down there to get more clearance between tensioner pulley and water pump pulley. Sometimes the belt goes on easier the first time If you loosen the power steering pump bracket bolts to get the belt on then tighten back up once its on to get a little extra angle and a little extra give.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I think I am going to be in the same boat on the pulleys.
I ended up flipping the idler upside down on a friend’s car and making a bracket out of some 1/4in steel for the tensioner. Then just had to swap the tensioner pulley to a ribbed one. Solved the issue as far as the wp pulley hitting.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Without a belt before any pulley mods, was the tensioner touching the water pump pulley or passing its belt line?

I am trying to eyeball it to see if I am in the same boat before I buy a new water pump pulley.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Without a belt before any pulley mods, was the tensioner touching the water pump pulley or passing its belt line?

I am trying to eyeball it to see if I am in the same boat before I buy a new water pump pulley.
Without a belt my tensioner pulley was touching the stock water pump pulley when I first mocked it up.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine is not, so I might be alright.
I went ahead and ordered the cobra pulley for the added clearance. I should know how all this will shake out come Thursday.

These project really nickel and dime us. Haha

1 - 20 of 52 Posts